ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How hard would it be to get one of those extenders?

Better yet, anyone know of any USDM companies that make an extender for our shift thread pattern thread?
JDM extenders in 10 x 1.25 are $10 at Super Autobacs. Local SOCAL dudes CE28N, SONIQUE, and a bunch of others run them. Let me know if you need one for whatever I pay SAB + actual shipping.

·
Registered
209 Posts
JDM extenders in 10 x 1.25 are $10 at Super Autobacs. Local SOCAL dudes CE28N, SONIQUE, and a bunch of others run them. Let me know if you need one for whatever I pay SAB + actual shipping.
Got a picture of them? Or at least a length?

why do you want to extend the shift?

just curious.

Puts the shift knob closer to the steering wheel. Combined with a good short shifter, it can make for a very quick action while still staying in complete control. For my purposes, it's a trick piece that would REALLY help me out (I learned how to drive on a stock AE86, which has a tall shifter which really was handy) and something to set me apart.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
With that much extension, you'd need one hell of a short throw shifter, otherwise it'd be like shifting a truck. Do the available short throw shifters for the Miata shorten the shift enough to keep shifting lengths reasonable?

·
Registered
209 Posts
Reasonable shift is objective.

I can tell you the SSK + extension combo isn't for everyone. Lots of guys like the toggle-like stock shift action, and lower it even more by lobbing threads of the end of the rod or drilling a voodoo knob.

Me? I like to take my hand off the wheel and within a moment be on the shift knob, yank it hard into gear, then be right back on the wheel.

It's a method thing, I guess.

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an extender installed on my FC with a C's short shifter kit. It throws almost to easily but it's just right. The shifter fids it's way into the gates very easily in my setup.

Having the shifter closer to the wheel changes the feel in the car when driving aggressively in my opinion. I am able to throw gears in the middle of turns while feeling less distracted by doing so.
Other than that it just looks funny. hahah

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.