ClubRoadster.net banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts
I like the 4g63 but if your so concerned go with a 3sgte gen 3. *Shrugs*

Well...if you use a metal head gasket, you'll be fine. The factory gaskets were just garbage. Not meant for boost at all! Had nothing to do with someone fucking up specs.
Dude, it's kinda both. The metal headgasket and arp is the "fix", but the other opinion is to just re torque the factory headgasket to 75ft-lbs. I can't fully recall but the factory specs was only like 30-40ft-lbs. A total f**k up if you ask me.

I see alot here interesting! The 4g63 is was offered in FWD or AWD, like said above the 7 bolt blocks were known for crank walk & I have seen Honda motors that have crank walked. As far as not being relaible I have alot of DSM friends making over 600 awhp, one makes 601 awhp on a stock bottom end on his old GT35r set up & has done this for the last two yrs. There is a guy with a 4g63 swap in a FC3S, he lives in Ohio & there is a white drag FD3S with a 4g63 swap. Starions & Conquest are essentially the same car running the 2.6 four cyclinder a 4g54 I believe RWD. To the OP you may want to check some of the DSM forums to get a better idea on the 4g63.

Well...if you use a metal head gasket, you'll be fine. The factory gaskets were just garbage. Not meant for boost at all! Had nothing to do with someone fucking up specs.
no, my 7M in my Supra, as well as the 7Ms in my friends supras all held up great. Toyota fucked up the torque spec on the head bolts, and its a common knowledge thing amongst MK3 supra owners. They originally designed the engine to use an asbestos head gasket, and at last minute before the engine went into production they changed the head gasket material and did not change the torque spec, therefore the head bolts are under torqued and stretch under pressure, causing the headgasket to blow...even on the naturally aspirated 7M engines. There is a revised torque spec that Toyota came out with the solve the issue. Now of course metal head gaskets will hold up better under high boost, but the head gasket was not THE problem with stock 7M-GTE engines, just the torque specs.

:woolery:
I love correcting people when they think they are correcting someone else

Also you might have a problem making an evolution 7-8-9 4g63 work the crank spins backwards. I read Mitsubishi did it to Jeep people from putting the motor in other cars.

Why does it take so long to get over 200ftlbs to the wheels? Is it a 700-800hp turbo that just hasn't woken up yet?

Completely stock Miata front subframe. Its a 2g 4g63 7 bolt out of a MItsubishi RVR (No crank walk....and I beat on it pretty good). Evo 8 intake manifold(modified) and throttle body. FP exhaust manifold, 13t turbo upgraded with a billet 20t compressor wheel, and 9 blade turbine wheel.(CHEAP) The 500+whp tune was with an fp black jounal bearing turbo. Stock JDM (Japanese Disposable Motor) block. Cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, cheap BC valve springs and 101 Cams. T56 transmisssion. 3.9 Getrag Diff. 1999 MSPNPPRO. E85(magic Juice) The turbo is simply rotated 180deg to get the exhaust to exit via the rear of the turbo. Reason for the bump in the hood is that I mismeasured the height of the motor (without the timing belt cover). The oil pan I made is about 1/2 inch too deep in the front hence the clearence issue with the stock hood. I will be pulling the oil pan, and remaking it so I can clear a stock NB hood. I run an electric water pump due the the fact that the 4g63 coolant route puts the highest point well above the radiator, and it ended up wrapping around the motor. The mechanical water pump block off plate/Inlet and electric water pump cured the issue. ABSOLUTEY LOVE THE 4g63 Miata Combo.

Attachments

Thanks for the info! The oil pan was one of the things that I was unsure of but I've found someone who will make one with the dimensions that I provide. It won't be cheap though! I think that your hood looks pretty sweet! It's subtle but you can definitely tell that there is something going on under the hood! I hadn't thought about an electric water pump but that is a good idea. Do you have any pics of how that is mounted?
It's interesting that you're using the 1999 MSPNPPRO, I was planning on using a 1g dsm harness and running dsmlink since I'm pretty familiar with tuning it and I have a good harness to use already!
I was thinking about going with an Evo 9 turbo or a hybrid based off of the Evo 9...

41 - 60 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.