ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Not really since most tanks I know use skid steering and weigh more than 60 tons so it's hard to draw comparisons between the two.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Seriously, though, I think that a very wide wheel like that on the street is for people who want to acheive a certain look at the expense of higher rotational intertia, tramlining, and higher steering effort. On a race car wide wheels like that usually equal faster laps times. I can't answer whether the tradeoff will be worth it to you. I know that 7" width is most popular but I know some people who even prefer a 6.5" wide wheel since it feels lighter and better balanced. Going to a 9" or 9.5" wheel on a Miata is going pretty far beyond the original design. It definitely won't drive like a Miata with 5.5" wide tires but I don't think it would be unbearable if you have power steering and a well sorted adjustable suspension. Then again, Scotland has some pretty rugged roads (or should I say sheep paths) and so for ultimate street handling and balance I would say a 15x7 might be best. But it's tough (no pun intended) to ignore the incredible looks of a wide wheel. I have no real world experience with wheels that wide on a Miata so take my advice for whatever it's worth.

·
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
we also have some of the best driving roads in the world kyle with lots of corners/bends/variation ... sort of like one of your highways but shaped like a race track !!! :wink:

what I really want to know is, am I going to end up with really heavy steering and lost feel from the extra width ?

the car is going to be a weekend/high days car and I really like the look of the wide tuckin99 flares and wide rims ... it won't be my daily driver and I am willing to put up with a bit to satisfy my vanity !!!

·
Banned
437 Posts
I have 15x8's in the front and 15x9's in the rear. Yes, the steering input and handling of the car has definitely changed bigtime. I'm not saying it's bad, but you have to pick your lines more differently when you're driving. My only peeves is that it's hard to find tires for 15x9's. Right now I'm going 205/50/15 in front and 205/55/15 in rear. Planning to go 205/60/15 in the rear and it's freakin hard to find!

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Hey Kevin, what are the offsets you're using for your wheel setup? I'm trying to get an idea for the tire sizes I want to run with my 15x8 ET0's running the same flares. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
When i purchased my car i had the option of going for a set of OZ's (17 x 7)

I went for a a decent test ride on some challenging roads and thought they completly ruined the car.
The steering, the feel and the balance just seemed to not suit the car, add to that the tramling and it was a no go, even though the guy was practically giving them away there was no way.

One of the problems was the outright grip, it was absolutly fantastic, but when it did eventually let go it did so big stylellyyyy.
On the stock 14"s it let go predictably and in a fairly linear controlable matter, with the wider wheels it just seemed to go from grip to outright slide instantly.

The other thing was the extra grip felt as if it did not suit the chassis, at max corner force it felt as though it was twisting the chassis into knots.

Cheers
Mark

·
Banned
437 Posts
Hey Kevin, what are the offsets you're using for your wheel setup? I'm trying to get an idea for the tire sizes I want to run with my 15x8 ET0's running the same flares. Thanks!
Hey there! It's no secret...the offset for the front is +25 and for the rear is +10. I hope this helps. I do know that Jubiride runs 15x8's on theirs with +5 offset on the front and +0 on the rear and it looks pretty good too (handling is probably pretty good as well). Good luck! Let me know what you decide to go with...

·
Registered
441 Posts
mine doesnt handle as well as my other 5, you have to turn the wheel more to go round corners and it tram lines like hell, grip on the other hand is up, i chuck it round a round about 35-40mph and there is no sign of it wanting to let go. just doesnt feel the same, maybe i just love old whitey too much

1 - 11 of 11 Posts