ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,272 Posts
Seriously, though, I think that a very wide wheel like that on the street is for people who want to acheive a certain look at the expense of higher rotational intertia, tramlining, and higher steering effort. On a race car wide wheels like that usually equal faster laps times. I can't answer whether the tradeoff will be worth it to you. I know that 7" width is most popular but I know some people who even prefer a 6.5" wide wheel since it feels lighter and better balanced. Going to a 9" or 9.5" wheel on a Miata is going pretty far beyond the original design. It definitely won't drive like a Miata with 5.5" wide tires but I don't think it would be unbearable if you have power steering and a well sorted adjustable suspension. Then again, Scotland has some pretty rugged roads (or should I say sheep paths) and so for ultimate street handling and balance I would say a 15x7 might be best. But it's tough (no pun intended) to ignore the incredible looks of a wide wheel. I have no real world experience with wheels that wide on a Miata so take my advice for whatever it's worth.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.