ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Did a search and couldn't find anything on it. A friend of mine helped me install the Inovative LC-1 (he did most of the work.) everything works besides the tack. It just stays in "0." He used the voltage source from the ignition switch. I mention this because it was pretty much the only step in the wiring which we could have done in numerous ways. Everything else is pretty much done to instructions. All the calibration procedures were done correctly with the LED light doing what it was supposed to do. All in all the wiring was relatively simple and the wideband works fine and I've been doing tuning for the last 5 days. Maybe we missed a small detail.

BTW I have an NA with the MSQPNP Gen2.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone?

·
Banned
607 Posts
try another power source?

where is the bung on your exhaust? the wideband sensor has to be screwed on either sideways, or downwards, not upwards.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We welded the bung on there on the top to reduce the amount of carbon buildup. I can install it on the stock bung though (sideways.) Could you explain why it needs to be mounted like this? Also, I dont think that would affect the tac.

And Matt, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but if you're talking about the coil pack I have the stock 1.6 Miata one.

·
Banned
607 Posts
We welded the bung on there on the top to reduce the amount of carbon buildup. I can install it on the stock bung though (sideways.) Could you explain why it needs to be mounted like this? Also, I dont think that would affect the tac.

And Matt, I'm not quite sure what you're referring to but if you're talking about the coil pack I have the stock 1.6 Miata one.
I think when its in upwards, moisture builds on it or something like that.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup, stock ignitor.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It would appear your stock ignitor is living on borrowed time then. Their tach output circuit is usually the first thing that fails before the whole stock ignition module dies.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So are you recommending I purchase a better ignitor? I'm not very educated when it comes to this so it would be great if someone pointed me in the right direction. Also, it didn't seem like this was a common problem with people installing widebands in their 1.8-swapped Miatas with stock 1.6 ignition(?)

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: In the last couple days my car has had some trouble starting. It would take around 3 sessions of cranking before it would fire up, each session being closer to firing up than the last until, finally, it didn't turn on at all (today). Could the ignitor keep the car from starting (starter still cranks it) while still sending spark to the coils (checked for spark at the plugs and they all arced :dunno:)?

This cranking problem happened the very next day after installing the wideband (the tachometer stopped working when we first started the car after finishing the install) so I thought it had something to do with it not being warmed up. Although the DO "warm up" they would not keep a car from starting.

Does this add to the suspicion that the ignitor may have gone bad?

·
Registered
189 Posts
It probably needs a new ignition module, not necessarily an upgrade. Probably just a coincidence that it broke; you'd have to go out of your way to break one with a wideband install.

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, I ordered one. Hopefully it will fix it.
Thanks!

·
Supporting Member
637 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I installed the new ignitor module yesterday and still no cigar. All my fuses looked fine besides the "FUEL INJ" and "COOLING FAN" relays as I can't tell if they're bad by just looking at them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts