ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im looking for the widest streetable r comp 15" tire out there. so far i have not been able to find anything wider than a 235 50. im looking more for a 275 40. does anyone know of any, or am i looking to go up to a 16" rim to find that size. thanks

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Hoosier makes an A6 in a 275/35/15, but they are way too soft of a compound to run on the street. I wouldn't get a 235/50 as that is going to be a much taller diameter as opposed to stock. Your best bet is a 225/45/15 NT01. The compound is hard enough to be easily streetable without wearing them. I drive on mine to track days, which are sometimes around 500+ miles round trip.

·
3,857 Posts
Hoosier makes an A6 in a 275/35/15, but they are way too soft of a compound to run on the street. I wouldn't get a 235/50 as that is going to be a much taller diameter as opposed to stock. Your best bet is a 225/45/15 NT01. The compound is hard enough to be easily streetable without wearing them. I drive on mine to track days, which are sometimes around 500+ miles round trip.
I was actully running the 275s A6s on the streets for a few weeks... they are really amazing.
I heard viper owners do that very often and the a6s usually last around 10K miles.

The experience driving these on the street is kind of mixed.
On one hand you feel like superman... you can do whatever you want, it feels like you are beating the laws of physics - since no street tire can provide such grip, acceleration and breaking power.

The negative is that they are picking up everything that it's on the road and throwing it on your car's bodywork....
You actually can hear all the little stones they pick up... pretty horrible :cool:

I also heard that you can puncture a tire more easily and usually tire places refuse to patch it for you... due to liability reasons.

I ended up going back to my regular 245/35/16s and I enjoy the quiet operation and sometimes I feel they are more fun since I can spin the rear tires without too much effort....

·
3,857 Posts
what do you need such a wide tire for on the street? how much power does your car make?
Isn't this the guy with the LS3 or LS7 engine?

·
Registered
367 Posts
What is your suspenion setup or power level to warrant such a large tire? I'd think a 225 NT01 or Hankook RS3 should take car of you. What tires do you have currently?

What tires do you have?

How much power are you putting to the wheels?

What suspension are you running?

·
Registered
742 Posts
225/45 NT01 like mentioned before gets my nod.

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
I was actully running the 275s A6s on the streets for a few weeks... they are really amazing.
I heard viper owners do that very often and the a6s usually last around 10K miles.

The experience driving these on the street is kind of mixed.
On one hand you feel like superman... you can do whatever you want, it feels like you are beating the laws of physics - since no street tire can provide such grip, acceleration and breaking power.

The negative is that they are picking up everything that it's on the road and throwing it on your car's bodywork....
You actually can hear all the little stones they pick up... pretty horrible :cool:

I also heard that you can puncture a tire more easily and usually tire places refuse to patch it for you... due to liability reasons.

I ended up going back to my regular 245/35/16s and I enjoy the quiet operation and sometimes I feel they are more fun since I can spin the rear tires without too much effort....

If the viper owners are getting 10k miles out of A6's then they are probably just pimping around on them. They are a very fast wearing tire and driving them around on the street is just a waste of money.

·
3,857 Posts
If the viper owners are getting 10k miles out of A6's then they are probably just pimping around on them. They are a very fast wearing tire and driving them around on the street is just a waste of money.
True, but that's just what I've been told from some people that seem to know their sh*t.
On the other hand you can destroy a tire even on a day... everything depends on what you do and how often you do it...

I would say it's a waste of money - or maybe everything is a waste of money in that sense since there is no need to have a FI miata or a hennessey viper right? :cool:
But if you have a very strong 2wd car a sticky tire is almost required...

·
Gang-Ban Organizer
2,720 Posts
I drove my nearly toasted A6s for about 1000 miles before they corded on the street. I'd guess you could get about 6000-8000 miles out of a set. Why not do it :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts