ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the widest tire you can use on a 8 inch wheel? i'm thinking about a couple of sets of wheels... one being the sportmax 501's but im not sure how i like when the tires are stretched too far. anyone rocking something like 215's or 225's with rolled fenders, not flares?

this is for an NB but i would assume fitment is similar to the NA.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
Do you think you'll really have enough power or put your car to the limit to need those? And the tires will be more expensive, i'm not trying to argue with you or anything, just making you think before you act lol, any way hopefully this thread will help you

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=206671

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
y? what is your purpose?
i really don't care for the look of stretched tires.

Do you think you'll really have enough power or put your car to the limit to need those? And the tires will be more expensive, i'm not trying to argue with you or anything, just making you think before you act lol, any way hopefully this thread will help you

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=206671
a supercharger is in the car's immediate future but the main purpose is avoiding the 195 on an 8 inch wide wheel. i'd like to try 215's or maybe 225's and yes i'm aware of the cost penalty... =D>

thanks a lot miatadam

·
3,857 Posts
I had the same question...I knew that Mr.Woolery has plastic doors that cost more than a cheap NA each ...I'm wondering how the CF would cost then? $2-3K each?

·
3,857 Posts
Btw I'm wondering if there would be oil starvation in the engine during hard cornering on these babies...

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It's funny when people think P245/40R15 are really wide tires because they're so used to figuring out what will fit a Miata. A lot of my friends are rocking P335/30R18 tires on their non-Miatas. I just read an article in evo magazine by Gordon Murray about how much fun the 5.0x13 bias-ply tires were on his old Lotus Elan because you could slide around and the handling at the limit was fairly benign due to the long transitions from grip to slide.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just ordered a set of Goodwins 245/35/16 for the wheels I ordered... Advan RG II 16x8

Unfortunately I wont have pics for a while being that the wheels are on a 3-4 month back order :(

Once I get ready to track my car, my race wheels will be 15x8 and I will be using the 245/40/15 posted above :)

·
3,857 Posts
Nice wheels but it's 245 too much for every day?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Definately no "need" for 245, but I like fat rubber under the car. Plus I've ordered the flyin miata VooDoo turbo kit and will be upgrading to the Hydra version shortly.

I will be tracking this car, but these wheels and tires will not see the track. This is my street setup. It's really a personal preference, definately not the "smartest" decision :D

·
Kicked off the island..
3,062 Posts
I'm thinking I "need" some, I just can't afford them right now. With a 50 shot, the car should put down around 325hp 380tq. So I think I "need" all the rubber I can get. This will probably be the size I go with when I pick out a set of drag radials. Besides, I bet they ride good.

·
3,857 Posts
You definitely need 245 miatadam... Paul (with the original MM) had 245 and (when I drove his beauty) managed to spin them really easy...v8 monsters have torque ;)

·
Registered
402 Posts
I have asked Emilio about how streetable the 245/40s are. The answer is categorically no. The compound is designed for Caterhams, so putting it on something as heavy as a Miata is going to make for FAST tire wear. He said they might last a thousand miles on the street, probably less.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts