ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So when I bought my car it had these almost 100% horrible looking rims on it from the previous owner, however i did a little work with red reflective vynal to make em look a little better.

Anyway Im just looking to find out what the WIDEST rims you can run and what offset to each size. Im looking at Motegi Tough Rims which Come staggered @ 18x10 +30 rear and 17x9 +24 in the front Will they run? I havent been able to measure yet

h and this is on a 2.5" drop

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
trust me, you do NOT want anything over 16's. I'm running 17's right now, and i hate them

and i've read staggered setups screw up your abs on miatas.

but if you really want em, go with what dicker said.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why the **** would you want to put such big wheels on the car?
did I offend you or something? I mean I have 17x7.5 now and I ave No complaints other than traction(rains here ALOT) and the looks(style not size)

If They Make the touge in 17x8 and 17x9 I may go with that setup.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry but I really dont like smaller rims, (i go nosmaller than 17 and no bigger than 19"s on ANYTHING) The only exception is I will probably get some 15-16"s for the rear for the drift course but This is also my DD and I want wha I like sorry lol.

·
Registered
718 Posts
i go nosmaller than 17 and no bigger than 19"s on ANYTHING
that's your thing, but IMO it's stupid. I wouldn't just dismiss 15s and 16s just because of the number. you're going to get less unsprung weight running smaller wheels, and there's going to be less inertial force (from the spinning of the wheel) with smaller wheels. if you are serious about getting the best performance out of your car, go with something small. The car just feels better with smaller wheels IMO. anything over 16" looks like the miata's either got dubs or is planning an off road excursion. plus, nearly every R compound tire comes as a 15" tire. what's wrong about that. IMO, unless you get something expensive and forged, you're not gonna like heavy 17s at all, unless you're into looks only.

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
you can run some sportmax 962s the smallest size they make those in is 17. but in all honesty 17-19
are too big for a miata, its gonna looks horrendous. http://www.sportmaxwheel.com/sportmax_962.shtml#

why dont you just get a cadelick, and put some D's on the bitch! haha jesus

edit:had to fix the link

·
3,857 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
So when I bought my car it had these almost 100% horrible looking rims on it from the previous owner, however i did a little work with red reflective vynal to make em look a little better.

Anyway Im just looking to find out what the WIDEST rims you can run and what offset to each size. Im looking at Motegi Tough Rims which Come staggered @ 18x10 +30 rear and 17x9 +24 in the front Will they run? I havent been able to measure yet

h and this is on a 2.5" drop
Well Spyder Wizard what my fellow ClubRoadsters are saying in a very rude way :| is that by putting bigger (in diameter) wheels after a while you run out low profile tires (hey they don't have 225/15/19s right? So you increase the overall diameter of the wheel and as a result the car looks like a mini van (OK I exaggerated the situation a bit to give you an idea :mrgreen: ).
I wouldn't go with something larger that 17 unless if they were super high profile tires available (AND the roads were perfect)...

Another thing very important for nice look of a car is to use a low offset as possible so that the wheels will stick out. I bet your wheels have offset ET35 or ET 40...

Anyway to answer your question you'll have hard time finding 4x100 wheels with the proper offset and w/o rubbing issues...

Let us know which wheels you are thinking and we can help you decide what will fit easier. If you want very wide rear wheels (18x9) you will need very low offset (or spacers) because otherwise you will rub the inside part of the fender wells. But then you will still have problem outside so you'll have to roll the fenders (which won't be enough since the diameter of the wheels is too large). So basically if you want 18"x9" or 18"x10" wheels you will need BIG BUCKS and a nice widebody kit (AWR or Nopro)...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts