ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Not sure what measurements you need but the ones in my 96 are about 4 1/2 inches from end to end.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the OEM handles here. I just cant find the measurements on the aftermarket ones as to how much they STICK OUT of the door.

Problem with the OEM with LE door cards is, when moving them, they drag on the speaker grilles, which I don't want. So I want something that stick out a bit more.

Appreciate the help

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
would it be possible to just space out the stock one? (havent taken apart my doors yet lol)
I have my door panels apart. If possible, I would like to do that, but I am not sure "how to" space them out

Suggestions welcome.

·
Registered
904 Posts
I thought about that but its been a while since I had the doors apart on my car. I know they have to lock in so you would have to find a way to get the crank out further not just the arm other wise it will just fall off in your hand.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I do not think its possible to space the stocks out. There is a clip that slides into a notch on the crank shaft.

What you should do is, install the door card with the LE trim piece. Measure exactly how much clearance you are going to need to clear the LE panel. Then install the stock crank and see how much further out it need to be.

If you can get me those measurements, I can measure my stock cranks vs the new ones I have and see if they'll work out. Atleast it will give you a starting point. Mine gave me more space, butwhether that is enough, I don't know.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can't think of a good way to space them out. The fixture is a sort of tapered grooved thing, and the crank (stock one, at least) doesn't have much clearance to be modified.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not think its possible to space the stocks out. There is a clip that slides into a notch on the crank shaft.

What you should do is, install the door card with the LE trim piece. Measure exactly how much clearance you are going to need to clear the LE panel. Then install the stock crank and see how much further out it need to be.

If you can get me those measurements, I can measure my stock cranks vs the new ones I have and see if they'll work out. Atleast it will give you a starting point. Mine gave me more space, butwhether that is enough, I don't know.
I will do that tonight. I know I owe you the pics. Just haven't had time once I get home from the office.

I will post back latest tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
904 Posts
This probably isn't ideal but, if you notch the plate it should work then. Looks like the plate covers where the crank is completely otherwise.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
This probably isn't ideal but, if you notch the plate it should work then. Looks like the plate covers where the crank is completely otherwise.
I will notch the plate--not a big deal.

Then would you say to use the stock one (paint it red if possible) or still try to get a chrome/polished one to match the rest?

·
Registered
904 Posts
Judging by the line you have no choice but to notch it. I would say match the plate with a new crank handle it will look a ton better than that stocker.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Those Lokar units look pretty trick! Really like 'em. From reading the description, looks like you'd need to match the spline pattern of the Mazda crank handle to one of those listed make/year ranges. Trial and error could end up trying your patience...But I'd looooove to see some of those crank handles in your car!

Couple of notes for ya'...
First, if you feel like painting the stock handles, the SEM Firethorn is pretty close to some of the LE parts. It's not exact, though. My glovebox door came from a local 'yard and was faded. It's now painted with the Firethorn and is much better. However, under direct light, it's pretty obvious it doesn't match.
Also, since that crank handle is mostly plastic (is there a metal rod inside?), maybe heat it up and bend it outward a bit?
And finally, how would you feel about cutting the handles to a shorter length? If nothing else, would make them a bit less obtrusive.

If you can get those Lokar units to play nice with the stock window setup, please let us know! Would love to try out a set in my R as well.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Jux,

Thanks for the info! Yeah my friend found the Lokar though I am not sure I want to buy and try those.

There is no metal rod inside OEM handle.

No problem cutting handle to shorter lenght. My 67 mini has tiny handles, and it works fine. I roll the window down may .007% of the time, but I do want the p roject finished.

I finally ordered some handles yesterday from Australia. Will see how they work, when they come in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts