ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Winkyl's 1990 B6 1.7L IrTB Miata Build **Updated June 30, 2009**

As [email protected] mention at the end of Ken's VVT in his 97 NA thread, I'll be the next one to entertain you guys on this build.

Let me try to sum up what's on the main dish:
Maruha ITB
Maruha (Mahle) 80.5mm bore, 1700 piston
Maruha Head gasket to match the 80.5mm bore
Maruha F112 Metal Engine Bearings
Maruha Oil pan baffle
ETD Rod
Knife-edge Crank
Ocean's Old brand new un-use race head with oversized valve :twisted:
Ocean's Old Race Cam

We'll be converting from hydraulic lifter to solid lifter on the head. Aiming to have a max rpm around 8500rpm. We start off the build on the head first, as Ocean told me that the lower block shouldn't sit for too long after it's completed and it's best to put both the head and the block together at once. And fire it up asap :lol:

Less talking, as picture always mean a thousand words... :mrgreen:

According to Ocean, this head took him 4 months to port and polish to smooth out all those little roughness.

And the combustion chamber, smooth as silk...

Deck shot:

Chikara's in house valve organizer, valve ready for measurements

Ocean using his SST tool that he made to measure the stem height

Ocean zero his SST prior to measurement

With all the measurement, we've done the calculations for valve springs and will be ordered on Monday. Most likely, we'll be doing something similar to Ken's setup. To grind down the springs to fit and avoid coil-binding and it will sit more stable on the head. I believe Ocean told me the springs will need at least 150lbs when it compressed. In that case, we'll have to go with early BP oem valve springs from japan. The crank is in the machine shop right now to get it knife edged and balance. The lower block is ready to pick up from machine shop as it's bored out to clear my oversize 1700 piston.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Any reason why you didn't build a BP?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Winkyl's 1990 B6 1.7L ITB Miata Build

I always like the feeling of high and free revin, it's not all about power (but it's part of it). I like the extra lightness from the B6 block and higher rev mainly. When I brought the car from day one, I know I want to have a 1700 block if I ever gonna mod for more power. B6 block got a different characteristic than the BP block (lack of low end torque) but according to Ocean, the B6 with 1700 piston will provide much more torque than a 1800 stock block.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I'M SO GLAD THAT YOU GUYS STARTED THIS BUILD!

I'll be following closely as I want to do something similar as well.

·
Registered
290 Posts

This will be a definitive sports car/roadster imo... 2-seater-lightweight-chassis-1600 based-high-reving-free-breathing-NA-motor-FR-machine!! lol
not to mention our cars has got that distant blood tie with the brits! :mrgreen:

It's a matter of taste I guess.. and I dig it, Winky! I await hearing ur car passing me with that screamer of urs!

·
Royal with Cheese
563 Posts

Subscribed !
I just love my 1,7l B6, I can't wait to see how you'll do yours, and how I should have done mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts

Damn.

I need to exchange rate to go down then I can buy the Cosworth CNC head and their cams. Otherwise, I cannot keep up with all these monster build.Damn.

·
Registered
875 Posts
^^^

Take your time on your build. Once you get the funds sorted out, then go out and buy the parts. I did thing incorrectly at first and had to start from scratch before.

NA engine building requires much more attention to detail than just slapping parts together.

I've seen this type of engine build in Japan before. Where they upped the displacement to 1736cc or something like that.

I think Beck is right on this one. They had a more FLAT powerband and actually made close to 190ps on a 1.7L

Keep it light, keep it free-revving, and everyone knows that the 1.6 drivetrain is lighter in reciprocal mass.

·
Registered
15 Posts
^^^

Take your time on your build. Once you get the funds sorted out, then go out and buy the parts. I did thing incorrectly at first and had to start from scratch before.

NA engine building requires much more attention to detail than just slapping parts together.
I would have been the first ?general public? in North America to run it by now if Cosworth release the cam just one month earlier than it has. Oh well???? If I can wait for two years, no harm to wait for another couple months???? Intake, exhaust, & ECU, all ready for these final two pieces to chip in. Just the stupid exchange rates kill my motivation.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Why run Cosworth? You can get custom grinds from Integral and Web Cams.

I did that too....I was originally gonna go with Todas, but what's the point of spending bling on a part that won't even be seen by your eye lol

Call Steve at Integral.....he'll guide you the right way.

Unless if you live close to where Ocean is.....you can get some sick Maruha gear too.

·
Registered
15 Posts

^^^

As brand name as Cosworth sound, you'll be surprise how cheap their products are. Set of cams for USD 660.00. CNC head only USD 3,300.00. All being flow tested. For their asking price and the R&D behind their products, I don't think any company in the market can beat what Cosworth can offer.

As for Ocean, I almost live with him so I am part of Chikara. :wink:

·
Registered
15 Posts

BTW, given NC?s ECU code only cracked recently and the number of company capable to do R&D in cams flow characters with the engine as a whole unit, trust worthy selection is very limited at this moment (Cosworth and Tomei). No doubt Integral and Web Cams are capable to do it in the future. But at this moment, I only have the above two to pick from.

Besids, my three reasons to pick Cosworth are

1. Ultimately I will run Cosworth CNC head. I don?t think there is / will be any company capable to offer a full in-house computerized flow tested / dyno tested CNC head with the price tag Cosworth is asking.
2. Coming from the same brand, Cosworth cams and CNC head are tested to work with each other. They may not generate the maximum output but one thing for sure they are designed to work with each other unlike some mix and match combo.
3. The price tags are just too attractive if you consider Cosworth world renowned quality.

·
Registered
875 Posts
^^^

Wait....you have a NC? My bad....I thought you were talking about 1.6 and 1.8 (B6 and BP motors lol)

If I had a NC, Cosworth IS the only solution right now lol

I expect you to make that MZR badass in the future!

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Hold on a minute, you have a 1.7L MZR?

·
Registered
875 Posts
^^^

No I was referring to the NC owner lol

I wish I had a MZR BUILT in my car lol

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Oh, I was going to say that some things weren't adding up.. Carry on everyone. :)

1 - 20 of 225 Posts