ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fan stopped working and I decided that it would maybe be easier/cheaper to just wire it somehow so the fan is on when the ignition is on. If I did it like this would my A/C fan work like normal?

BTW this in on a 93

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Dont ask that question on m.net.......I asked the same thing and they almost killed me.

Mine stopped aswell, but with an a/c recharge it started working like normal again.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont even use m.net anymore... dont even peek at it lol

My A/C fan work with my cooling fan... but only when A/C is on which is annoying because my system is empty so the idle is high... like almost 2000rpm

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can see myself forgetting to turn it on or my parents borrowing the car and cruising around letting the car overheat. I wanted to have it wired to the ignition but have a kill switch also. I just need to know what wires to use.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
Open the Diagnostic connector, put a jumper between the TFA and the GND. Your fan will always run when the ignition switch is on.

I don't beleive that will be the same for the a/c fan. It should work as normal, but I have not tested that.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
+1 Nevadabob

JamesCameron1
so its safe to just leave the jumper in there all the time?
No, Why would you want to drive around with the fan on all the time? Do a little trouble shooting and find out why it's not working. Do what Nevadabob says. If the fan runs, than it's good. Something else is causing it to stay off. Check the Temp switch connector, maybe it's bad or has a bad connector.
Invest in a cheap Volt meter and learn how to use it.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I ran two relays along with 2 swtiches (1 installed now) so I can manually turn them on/off. I have a total of 4 wires running from the relays. Battery, switch, ground, and lead. @ least a 40amp relay on both. I ran power all the way to the battery, switch to a no longer used acc lead, lead to the fan and ground to the firewall. If you were to do the same thing, but tap into the ignition power for the fans switch, it should work the same as you described you'd like to have happen. I can agree that you don't want the fan running all the time though.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Quick stupid question: why dont you want the fan on all the time?

-longer to get to operating temps? (runs richer)
-shorten life expectancy?

·
RDR
4,252 Posts
Quick stupid question: why dont you want the fan on all the time?

-longer to get to operating temps? (runs richer)
-shorten life expectancy?

prob cause we havent discussed what is "all the time" whether while driving, or the car in a off position (which would be stupid and kill your batt.)
though with my switch, i leave my fan on for a min or two before i turn it off, and then leave the car, sorta like people with turbos with no turbo timers, they have to do the same. (sit there and do nothing for a min.)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first things first... I was told that the sensor for the fan is the one on top of the T-stat housing. If this is true... its brand new (replaced in the fall) and the connection looks good and clean. This must mean that the problem lies in the wiring somewhere where I cant find it... instead of spending money on having someone find the problem or replacing things that dont need to be replaced I would just wire it so its on with ignition on and have a kill switch to have the fan off during warm up period. I tend to forget to turn things off so I dont want to have turn it off when the ignition is off because I know for a fact that I will leave the fan running and kill my battery.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
Do the jumper and see if the fan does come on. If it does not, then it's easy you just need another fan.

Do both fans come on now when you turn the a/c on? They should.

Not sure about running the jumper long term...probably not a great idea, but it will keep the car from overheating until you get the problem sorted.

·
CR.net Supporter
332 Posts
Ok....it was replaced. Did they use teflon tape to seal it. That switch makes a ground for the fan circuit.......The tape could interfere with the switches ability to make a ground.
On the 94-97 cars the switch is on the back of the head....it's a biatch to change. Also on the 94-97 cars, the ECU decides when to turn on the fan. The 1.6 cars are alot easier to diagnose

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it used to work... so im assuming that they didnt use tape. It was hot here in Canada today (yea it gets hot here.... VERY hot) and the car wasnt enjoying having no fan... so I decided to test out just with the jumper... boy what a DIFFERENCE!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts