ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I picked up a 94' R-package turbo Miata about a week ago. The car is rust free, has about 94k miles(engine has 50k), and is generally well put together. So far, I'm loving the thing. It's very different from what I'm used to, but the more I get used to it, the more I enjoy it.

And some background...
I have a lot of experience with Subarus, and my last car was a quick and clean 2007 WRX wagon. A very well rounded car that was speedy regardless of the surface and conditions. I was pretty fond of the thing. Unfortunately, a deer ran into the road, and I hit said deer, totaling the wagon. Not a good day. Fortunately, the insurance company took good care of me. After selling or parting it out, I will have gotten well over what the car cost new.

Before I knew that the wagon was totaled, I picked up a 2002 Impreza wagon to use as a winter car so that the wrx could be garaged during the cold months and made baller as all hell, starting next summer. Since the wrx was going to turn into more of an auto-x/occasional track day car, I figured it would be smarter to replace it with a better platform for that instead of getting another wagon since I have the 2002 as a DD. After much deliberation, and considering options like a c5 vette, e30 and e36 M3's, s2000, evo, and sti, I ended up choosing a Miata. Mainly because I can get most of the tarmac performance of any of those other cars, while putting a nice chunk of money in the bank. Having the potential to be fast while putting away a bunch of money ended up being the winner.

Plans for the Miata include adding a bit of power(not at first), good suspension, taking out a bit of weight, and generally keeping it nice while I compete in as many local events as I can fit into my schedule. How fast, how light, and how nice all depend on how long I keep it for(I intend to have it for a while). I generally don't mod quickly, but when I do something, I do it right.

For reference...

Here's the wrx, with a reliable ~300whp and a lot more suspension work than this picture suggests:

^totaled from hitting a deer on the opening day of hunting season.

The DD, which caught on fire(my luck sucks, right?):

^Currently at dealer having fire issue sorted out. Don't have the time to do it myself now.

And the Miata:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's nice to see that there are some other Miatas in the area. Unless I'm at an auto-x, I don't see that many of them.

From what I could tell, the car was for sale for a decent while. I think his initial asking price was $7500 and I ended up scooping it up for 5600. I guess it helps that I was buying so late in the season.

Do either of you hang out on Woodward on the weekends? My friends and I do quite a bit of that in the summer when I'm not in school. There are always plenty of Subarus in the usual hangout spot, but I rarely see Miatas. Meeting up with some local owners in such a setting would be a good time.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks gentlemen. It has some paint chips and scratches that bug me since I'm used to more of a new car finish, but I feel like some touch up paint, clay, and an orbital buffer will be enough to satisfy me for now.

I've been out to Woodward a few times before. We should try to organize a certain night to try to get some Miata'ers out there. I know a few local Miata guys that I could get to join as well.
Awesome. I'll try to remember to start a thread once the weather warms up so that something can be organized.

How hard does it pull? Your Roadster looks so clean and sweet, good catch dude !
It doesn't pull as hard as my wrx did, but it's fast enough to be fun. Not a good way of quantifying power, but when the weather is cold, it has no trouble spinning through first and second. Since I'm not used to rwd, I'll probably turn the boost down to spring pressure for my first few track days to prevent mishaps.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice, what seats do you have?
They're Sparco Sprint 5's. They don't fit me very well. In fact, few racing seats fit me well. They're too lose in the base and too tight up by my shoulders. I have a Sparco Pro 2000 that I ordered waiting at home, and that'll be going in as soon as I finish my exams, get home, and have some time.

Welcome! Definitely looks clean and should be super fun with the turbo.

Chris
Thanks. It is a lot of fun and I can't wait for summer so I can push it at events and really get familiar.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts