ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check your Works Bell 75mm Hubs, the cast aluminum ones, if you've ordered one recently.

I ordered mine on March 1st.

Got an email from the US vendor to check for cracks. I couldn't help him with the batch number, which was only on the box, the sticker inside the hub only lists the catalog number. Dippette's standing orders are to not retain boxes for more than a week. :cry2:

Anyhow, if you have cracks, don't drive on it, replace it, contact your vendor, etc.

If no cracks, you should be fine.

Works Bell steering wheel hub adaptors - standard (75mm) (WB-049106 (910T)) TALL VERSION (75mm / 3")

WorksBellHub-Cracked_IMG_4188 by cdambrose, on Flickr

WorksBellHub-Cracked_IMG_4186 by cdambrose, on Flickr

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think the scary part was that there was no warning. I guess the splines on the hub will hold, ...until they don't?

I'm new to modifications/upgrades/aftermarket stuff. Should I have been inspecting this stuff regularly? :eek:

I can't orphan the little Dipperino...

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Over the years, I've had a few (countable on one hand) customers report split splines when installing their cast aluminum Works Bell hubs. They insisted that they had followed the explicit torque limits prominently included in the packaging. I took them at their words, and took the high road and ate the costs of returning the damaged parts and free replacements.

When I requested to be reimbursed by the US importer of Works Bell, they blamed the customers as having been negligent, denied my claims, and left me holding the bag. As far as I'm aware, the manufacture in Japan has never changed their designs or materials, only reiterated in more prominent warnings on the packaging the limits of the torque when tightening the retaining nut on the steering column.

Having invested in a big inventory of these hubs (see pic below) with forum posts about the few reported issues proliferating, I took it upon myself to find a solution that would enable me to feel comfortable offering the remainder of my stock to customers without qualifications.

I consulted with the machine shop that makes my shifter kits, and they came up with the idea of pressed-on retaining rings to prevent the hubs from splitting. So I had them modify all of the hubs that I had in stock. (See attached pics of the modified 909 hubs for NAs.)

This seemed to solve the problem. I've sold a bunch of hubs with the retainer rings and had no more reports of failures.

But the next time I placed an order with WBUSA to replenish my inventory, they informed me that they had learned that I had been "modifying their products without their authorization" and thus refused to sell their products to me for resale. So once I sell off my remaining inventory, I'll no longer offer their products. Instead, I offer Daikei hubs which are made of swaged steel, not aluminum, so there's no risk of them splitting. They are available in my store here: http://miataroadster.com/daikei/daikei-steering-wheel-hub-adaptors-compare-our-prices/g-66272.aspx

FYI, here's the page on Works Bell's Japan website about torque specs on the cast aluminum hubs (use Google Chrome browser to translate):

https://www.worksbell.co.jp/blank-tkcx0

·
Registered
5,006 Posts
Bill, is that the Dakei hub for NA/NB's as your site says they don't fit either? :dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts