ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel a bit dumb when asking something like this but what the heck...

Ive saved up some money for a vacation this year. The amount is closing up towards 1000USD. And i was thinking perhaps a trip to nurburgring and some laps there would be a memory for life!

However heres the deal, its quite a trip from Sweden to the legendary german track. And I'm a little scared i might break down. My car is a 1992 NA and it has about 111846 miles according to a online km--> miles converter. Feels pretty Okay engine wise and passed smog etc without problems last year.

Other mods are a set of k-sport coilovers. And by springtime it will have a roll bar(padded) and probably a set of seats that sit me low enough to clear it.

Would you do it with this car? what can i do to make it hold up better other than perhaps brand new brakebads and a service?

What would YOU do?

Don't flame please, I'm not that good with cars yet, i got the miata and I'm learning as I'm going on.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate. 111k is pretty young.

Radiator, rad hoses, heater hoses, water pump + timing belt recently? If yes then I'd do it in a heart beat.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I feel a bit dumb when asking something like this but what the heck...

Ive saved up some money for a vacation this year. The amount is closing up towards 1000USD. And i was thinking perhaps a trip to nurburgring and some laps there would be a memory for life!

However heres the deal, its quite a trip from Sweden to the legendary german track. And I'm a little scared i might break down. My car is a 1992 NA and it has about 111846 miles according to a online km--> miles converter. Feels pretty Okay engine wise and passed smog etc without problems last year.

Other mods are a set of k-sport coilovers. And by springtime it will have a roll bar(padded) and probably a set of seats that sit me low enough to clear it.

Would you do it with this car? what can i do to make it hold up better other than perhaps brand new brakebads and a service?

What would YOU do?

Don't flame please, I'm not that good with cars yet, i got the miata and I'm learning as I'm going on.
Do it and don't look back. If you suspect any possible chance of failure, bring a set of tools, replacement parts, floor jack and two jack stands. Its a good idea to grab 2 gallons of distilled water along in case of any coolant leaking, but beyond that you should be fine.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would look up common issues with the miata. Stormin'norman listed some good ones. You should probably replace the clutch slave cylinder if you already haven't. My car has almost 90k on it and I got it when it had 72K, and so far I had only one problem. My heater core started leaking, but that only required me to loop the lines until I replaced it. I have replaced a few leaking seals and replaced the radiator but really the car is rock solid and I put quite a lot of miles on it this summer.

I think the miata will be fine for the trip, just don't stuff it into a wall when you make it to the track.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Honestly if you feel like it will have problems driving TO the track, then how are you expecting it to hold up once ON the track? Just make sure all of your basic maintenence(Oil,Coolant,Tires,ect) is squared away and set off. Miata are pretty reliable cars, and the chance is too great to pass up. I wish I was within driving distance of The Ring. Have fun, that's the most important thing.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honestly if you feel like it will have problems driving TO the track, then how are you expecting it to hold up once ON the track? Just make sure all of your basic maintenence(Oil,Coolant,Tires,ect) is squared away and set off. Miata are pretty reliable cars, and the chance is too great to pass up. I wish I was within driving distance of The Ring. Have fun, that's the most important thing.
Im pretty confident i will make it to the track, the thing I'm a bit more concerned with is driving it ON the track. Even if i plan on taking it easy and pretty much "cruise" the track since its my 1st track experience ever, the revs will be high and full throttle will be used a lot.

Then theres this small issue of getting all the way back home after all this hard driving.

The trip there and back at normal traffic speeds I'm 99% certain i will make, its the hard track driving combined with a pretty long round trip that I'm asking about. And since i will be stranded in a country where either swedish or english is a reliable way of communicating I just wanna see what i can do to prevent a breakdown.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Im pretty confident i will make it to the track, the thing I'm a bit more concerned with is driving it ON the track. Even if i plan on taking it easy and pretty much "cruise" the track since its my 1st track experience ever, the revs will be high and full throttle will be used a lot.

Then theres this small issue of getting all the way back home after all this hard driving.

The trip there and back at normal traffic speeds I'm 99% certain i will make, its the hard track driving combined with a pretty long round trip that I'm asking about. And since i will be stranded in a country where either swedish or english is a reliable way of communicating I just wanna see what i can do to prevent a breakdown.
Make sure you're up to date on your maintenance and don't think twice. I often find my car seems to run smoother for a while after a track day of all things. High rpm's are healthy and considering it's your first track experience and the ring is a very technical circuit I think a mechanical failure due to stressful driving should be far down on your list of worries.

Prepare the car appropriately (check hoses, make sure your wp/belt has been done recently. Radiator turning brown/white? Change all fluids. Bleed brakes, appropriate pad thickness, tire condition etc.) Bring tools, spares, oil, and go enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Make sure you're up to date on your maintenance and don't think twice. I often find my car seems to run smoother for a while after a track day of all things. High rpm's are healthy and considering it's your first track experience and the ring is a very technical circuit I think a mechanical failure due to stressful driving should be far down on your list of worries.

Prepare the car appropriately (check hoses, make sure your wp/belt has been done recently. Radiator turning brown/white? Change all fluids. Bleed brakes, appropriate pad thickness, tire condition etc.) Bring tools, spares, oil, and go enjoy the trip.
With this info I'm pretty happy that you guys may very well receive a small video/pic of me cruising the ring sometime during 2012.

I guess ill spend around 300-600 on maintenance, and about 700-1000 on the trip.

I did the timing belt last spring, and the water pump seemed solid(checked the axle and it felt solid) so i didn't change it.

Bit i guess this list should be sufficient.

1. Brakepads and lube up the calipers just in case. Also check brakelines etc.
2. Doublecheck wheelbearings
3. Oil, oil filter, fluids.
4. check engine bay for bad wires and hoses.
5. Fix my clutch, probably the slave cylinder or fluid thats overdue, but if needed a new clutch.
6. Overhaul the entire car for loose bolts and such.
7. Install rollbar and if needed seat(s).
8. Raise the car a bit to prevent scraping(its 12" hub to fender atm).
9. Gather tool-kit for roadside repairs.
10. Just do it and don't look back

Seems realistic?

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
With this info I'm pretty happy that you guys may very well receive a small video/pic of me cruising the ring sometime during 2012.

I guess ill spend around 300-600 on maintenance, and about 700-1000 on the trip.

I did the timing belt last spring, and the water pump seemed solid(checked the axle and it felt solid) so i didn't change it.

Bit i guess this list should be sufficient.

1. Brakepads and lube up the calipers just in case. Also check brakelines etc.
2. Doublecheck wheelbearings
3. Oil, oil filter, fluids.
4. check engine bay for bad wires and hoses.
5. Fix my clutch, probably the slave cylinder or fluid thats overdue, but if needed a new clutch.
6. Overhaul the entire car for loose bolts and such.
7. Install rollbar and if needed seat(s).
8. Raise the car a bit to prevent scraping(its 12" hub to fender atm).
9. Gather tools.
10. Just do it and don't look back

Seems realistic?
I doubt you really need to do these things. Anything that's already broken you should fix, but I doubt you will find any lose bolts or nuts. I just get the feeling you are overthinking this.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I doubt you really need to do these things. Anything that's already broken you should fix, but I doubt you will find any lose bolts or nuts. I just get the feeling you are overthinking this.
Yeah, but he has valid reasons for assuming the worst. That said I don't doubt the trip is very doable. These cars are pretty stout. Prepare it as needed but I think you'll be really pleased with how it handles the ordeal.

·
SuperMOD
7,045 Posts
The crucial missing element we all weren't initially told was his own wrenching abilities.

If you've never turned a wrench in your life, I honestly would not really recommend a faraway track day to anyone, just because sh*t happens.

But since you've done a timing belt/water pump and can do a slave, fluid change, and bleed lines...I'd say you'd be ready to handle most any little snags you might encounter along the way.

·
Registered
125 Posts
If it were me I'd want to make sure I had at least a days rest before and after the day at the ring, just to make I was fresh, ready and felling prepared for it.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
Stormin' and Haig make great points.

If you have performed all the maintenance on it, thoroughly, you won't have any issues. If you are decent spinning a wrench, you just need a simple set of tools and some quick fixes to anticipate the freak occurrence; zip ties, extra oil, water, duct tape, assorted hose clamps, etc.

I frequently tracked my car. I am at 160,000 miles and would have no reservations about driving it up to Laguna Seca, some 350+ miles away, track it then drive back.

The only thing that prevents me from REALLY going at it on the track is driving it home. I keep well within my limits but still enjoy myself. I wouldn't drive 10/10ths unless I had a tow rig.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think you forgot the most important part of all of this. You forgot to bring me!

Me = Jelly you even have this option. I'd do anything I could to make this happen.

·
Supporting Member
1,543 Posts
New tires. Of all things, buy new tires. A track like that will eat them up in a matter of hours. Last thing you want to do is be driving home with them being bald.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
New tires. Of all things, buy new tires. A track like that will eat them up in a matter of hours. Last thing you want to do is be driving home with them being bald.
nah.. as long as they have adequate tread depth. People hitting the track for the first time use maybe 40% of the car's actual capabilities in the technical portions of the track where the tires will be worked the most.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts