ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a valve cover and plan on painting it. Perfect timing because I need change my valve cover gasket and CAS gasket. Does anyone have any have any experience with Wrinkle Finishing? Have you don it on your own? Or did you pay someone to do it? I'm looking for this quality of a finish. These pictures are from www.TRGCoating.com I emailed them for a quote and it'll cost $65 not including shipping which doesn't seem bad.

I've even considered something a bit different like these:

A little more royal blue though

Or even green textured

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Me too, $65 + shipping sounds great. Do they send you a finished product and you have to send yours, or do you have to send them yours and wait for it to come back.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You'd have to send them yours. I'll be sending them mine next week. My original email was about 9 months ago, but I don't think their price will have changed that much. They told me it would take about a week. My quote was for wrinkle black.

Hey jdm3g. sorry about now selling the GTII anymore. I always wondered hoe you got your valve cover to look so damn good. I've read about VHT paints a little, but don't you have to put the valve cover in the oven? Sweet wheels by the way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just did mine a few weeks ago. I picked it up at a local auto store. I put down a coat of high temp primer, let that dry while I did the CAS/heater hose. Then i put a few coats of the black wrinkle on. I thought it was dry after a beer, but some of it smugded off, so I spot treated it (shitty) but I don't care.
I wasn't impressed with the finish right away, but as it cures, the finish changes, and it looks really good now. I'm probably going to do a red treatment to my protege5.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
iv done 3 miata valve covers w/ VHT's wrinkle red paint
I can vouch, Tyler did mine. I had him do it because for some reason I cannot do wrinkle paint, it just doesn't like to wrinkle correctly for me lol.

I need to get a less-washed out pic but here's one of mine, done with the VHT like he said^

·
Supporting Member
828 Posts
I had my 1.8 cam cover done by TRG. Came out really nice. The powder coating is more durable than wrinkle finish paint.

I have personally done wrinkle finish paint in the past. Final cleaning of the parts really well with alcohol helps with adhesion. I got best results by baking on the finish in an oven - but you need ventilation 'cause the curing paint makes a nasty stink.

Attachments

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damn, everyone's looks dope. I really love the textures look of wrinkle finish. I always knew you could do wrinkle finish on your own, but I've never been good with painting things and I remember reading about things getting stinky way back in my Honda days when people were doing wrinkle finish, nor have I ever had the time because of work. Basically I'm too lazy to do it on my own and would be really pissed if I messed up. So paying isn't a bad option for me. I also plan on having a intake manifold polished up and installing that at the sametime.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
i did mine myself in about 20 minutes... including drying

buy the wrinkle finish paint from advance auto/autozone... or any other auto place. spray heavy coats and use a blowdrier to dry. it takes a few minutes of blow drying to get the deep wrinkle finish. blow dry until you can touch it without smudging the finish.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts