ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know where I can go to get a low milage 1.6l? I've been looking around online and keep finding JDM engines with 50k. Could that be possible and would these engines drop into a USDM Miata? I would prefer to pick it up myself rather than have it shipped. I can pick up in new Mexico or California. Anything else I would just have it shipped.

Can you guys point me to any reliable sources where I could pick one up for under 1k?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
The JDM one is no different. It will plug right in and run exactly the same. Your only concern should be the engine being of the long nose crank variety. 4 slots on the front crank pulley = short nose, 8 slots = long nose.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I didn't know that. You totally answered my next question.

Now do you know where I could source an engine or should I just buy one of the ones online?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Pit garage. Just picked mine up last week. Have yet to start it though. Got It for 600 out the door. Will finish putting it in tonight.

Edit:just saw your from NM. Lol

·
Registered
420 Posts
Try Planet Miata..

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you give me the adress and phone number to pit garage? I can have my brother go get it for me. How many miles does yours have?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
We bought a JDM 1.6 one (had it shipped) and everything turned out great (bought it off ebay). Nice strong motor works great! I could look up who we bought from if you were interested.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My buddy was telling me that jdm engines can be a horror story. He says since the ths jdm is meant for right hand drives... his exact words " its not exactly plug and play" how true is this?

·
Registered
172 Posts
My buddy was telling me that jdm engines can be a horror story. He says since the ths jdm is meant for right hand drives... his exact words " its not exactly plug and play" how true is this?
It is not true. I have a JDM engine in my car right now, and I am sure many other do too.

·
Registered
46 Posts
It is not true. I have a JDM engine in my car right now, and I am sure many other do too.
what else is needed for that swap I looked jdm thats not too expensive I want to do the swap myself... Or a shop... My yatta has 260k and the best place to start a buildis the engine right?

·
Registered
46 Posts
It should all plug and play on the older Miatas pretty much. Emissions stuff is where it can get a little tricky on the newer ones.
well my cae is registered n fl where they dont have testings for that so im good...
On a seperate note I went to that sight and saw a 1.6 for pretty cheap any MORE reviews on that place I dont trust the internet. But hearing guys/girls experinces on this forum would reassure me!

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Now when I replace the engine do I need to replace everything else? I also want to make it a 6 speed instead of 5 speed.
Research the 6 speed swap before you do it..you might be surprised at the results...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts