ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to sound like a dumbass (prlly will tho), but what exactly is a "tank slapper". I have seen this term a few times before and I am not sure what it means in reference to cars. I understand the motorcycle meaning of tank slap, but how does that translate to automotive "tank slap"?

Thanks in advance
-Jeremy

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
It's basically the same no matter what the context. A tank slapper is any scary event related to near loss of control, oftentimes characterized by steering axis oscillations of (increasingly) large amplitude. In the context of riding a motorcycle this term is most often used to describe a severe case of head shake (front wheel oscillating left/right) with amplitude so great the handlebar ends actually make repeated contact with either side of the fuel tank (or more appropriately air box cover) between the rider's legs as the bars swing wildly back and forth. Only a truly lucky or skilled rider is able to recover from such an event without crashing. This is why people install steering dampers.

In math speak, a tank slapper is described as follows:
phi(t) = phimax*cos(2*pi*f*t-psi)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah ha... ok .. i get it. Thanks for the quick response. I was confused for a bit there.

-Jeremy

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
It's basically the same no matter what the context. A tank slapper is any scary event related to near loss of control, oftentimes characterized by steering axis oscillations of (increasingly) large amplitude. In the context of riding a motorcycle this term is most often used to describe a severe case of head shake (front wheel oscillating left/right) with amplitude so great the handlebar ends actually make repeated contact with either side of the fuel tank (or more appropriately air box cover) between the rider's legs as the bars swing wildly back and forth. Only a truly lucky or skilled rider is able to recover from such an event without crashing. This is why people install steering dampers.

In math speak, a tank slapper is described as follows:
phi(t) = phimax*cos(2*pi*f*t-psi)
Good description. I use the term on squids a lot more, but yes, the terminology between the 2 is the same. The movement is pretty much out of control until either the person can correct the situation, or it ends in utter failure (highside or lowside crashes). Steering dampers on bikes is probably one of the best modifications you could do to a bike, whether it be offroad or on. One way to spot it is when some hot shot comes down off a wheelie and the front end slams down causing the front wheel and bike itself to wobble back and forth very fast.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
tankslappers are scary....

Ive had 2, both I recovered from lol and Im lucky, not truly great lol!

just for some info, you start a tankslapper, roll off the throttle and scoot foward (even to the point of actually sitting on the tank) and weight the handlebar. thats how I recovered.

2 lowsides to, and one so bad I remember riding then being on the ground, not how I got there. lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
i had one on a stoppie, i pulled it up and the pavment changed mid may through causing the front to lock up i dont know how i made it without dropping my bike but there was quite a skid mark and i think i had just a dot of **** in my pants

·
Registered
87 Posts
All I have to say is they suck bad. This is what happens when you get one and is goes bad. 20 grand down the toob fast, I know this and here are pics.

\

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Damn, that sucks. That Ducati was probably gorgeous before that happened I just hope you weren't seriously injured. Bikes can always be replaced. I really want a 1098 but living where I do it'll either get stolen or wrecked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts