ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many here have had exposure to both of these media players?

I have a 360. I usually buy all the video game toys but have found myself content with just this one system as I don't have a ton of time to play games right now. I have a 720p LCD 37" TV in the livingroom. I am considering moving to a 43-47" panel. Not sure if it will be 1080p or not.

I was going to buy the HD DVD player attachment for the 360 yesterday, and the salesperson warned me that the quality was not that great and the video processing wasn't very crisp. He recommended either buying a "real" HD DVD player ($800) or but a Blue Ray player. He mentioned that the PS3 player actually was pretty high quality.

I'll buy a PS3 if just for the player if I find it to be a noticable difference. I'm currently using the DVD player fromthe 360 for movies in my home theatre right now.

Any thoughts?
Matt

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
bump for more info.

I find it hard to believe it would be a noticable difference worth $400.

My friend has the 360 HD DVD player, it came with King Kong, he compared it side by side (switching inputs) to an upconverted standard dvd, both in 720p, said the HD DVD looked incredible in comparison. Standard DVD is no longer an option, haha. He has no complaints about it, and says "For $200, you cant go wrong."

One problem with the 360's setup is that theres currently no HDMI cables available for it, Im not sure if that will be a possibility in the future. Not sure what the deal is with the PS3's cables.

I think both the 360 HD DVD and PS3 Blu Ray are not going to be quite as good as the standalone players.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I still like my $30 4 year old APEX dvd player.
ha. wish I could be content too.

I understand that high end player (elite, denon, etc) may be better than these versions, but there does become a point when you have to say enough is enough. I have a good chunk of change dropped into home theatre, and am pretty decerning, but there are some differences I simply can't see.

I'm also interested in the differences between HDMI and component. Some of the high end audio guys are talking about actually getting better quality from component. That the all-in-one HDMIs loose some signal purity. But I admit I haven't been able to tell switching back and forth on my setup. And if HDMI is digital, you can't loose signal, right? It either works, or it doesn't unlike analog.

The new denon recievers have HDMI switching built in. With they also take component inputs and output to HDMI?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts