ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching around for a hour or 2 now, and haven't really found what I want.

I keep reading that the xidas are amazing and are very smooth, but i don't know if it's smooth compared to other harsh coilovers or if they are just that amazing. I'm wanting to upgrade my suspension but I also want the ride to be very smooth. I want to be able to take my mom on a ride and for her to say the ride is way better than her car.

Basically all I'm asking comfort with xida w/ standard rate compared to stock. And xida with lower spring rate compared to stock. I know handling will be greatly improved just wondering about comfort.

I will maybe take my car to the track once or twice a year w/ somewhat hard driving on the street.

Thank you.
Sorry if I missed a thread answering this.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes yes it is. But that's me. I spend 5k to turbo my s13 and never raced.

But I was also going to but rpf1 this weekend but im trying to decide to either save for suspension and wheels later or get the wheels and suspension later

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
I'm wanting to upgrade my suspension but I also want the ride to be very smooth. I want to be able to take my mom on a ride and for her to say the ride is way better than her car.

Basically all I'm asking comfort with xida w/ standard rate compared to stock. And xida with lower spring rate compared to stock. I know handling will be greatly improved just wondering about comfort.
Yeah, what you're asking simply isn't going to happen, and if you're looking for a lower spring rate than OEM to pair with those shocks, that's just a gigantic waste of money. All the comparisons you're reading are probably head to head with other 10k/8k or 8k/6k setups, all of those are significantly harsher than stock. I have a relatively respectable 8k/6k setup and most non car folk/women have either commented or complained about the ride quality on less than perfect surfaces.

Go buy some Racelands.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll probably end up doing that
But im just looking for them compared to stock, If anyone has experience. I would be happy driving with them even if they are pretty harsh.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
They preform in racing conditions, they have higher spring rates and are designed for the track not the street.

If you just want something comfortable then just get some bilstiens and springs with rates that you want.

Also, there are very few people that own them so getting a ride won't be easy.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
While I don't think these coilovers are as good or better than xidas, they do however offer nice features and low spring rates. Plus they are backed by one of the best miata shops.

http://www.rspeed.net/mobile/default.aspx#P2444

You can get them as low as 5k in the front and 4k in the rear and cost 1,100. If I were getting coilovers for your purpose these would be them. Xida+tophats is twice as much, and your paying for something you won't use.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll look into those. I really want the best handling suspension I can get. I'm wanting to get into more racing but this is my only daily driver so if I track this and I wreck or blow the engine then I'm out of a car.

So no one here has experience with them to compare to stock?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Def go with the Ohlins with DFV technology. I have a stiff rate but as soon as the high speed valve opens from potholes and such, LIKE A CLOUD.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I've been searching around for a hour or 2 now, and haven't really found what I want.

I keep reading that the xidas are amazing and are very smooth, but i don't know if it's smooth compared to other harsh coilovers or if they are just that amazing. I'm wanting to upgrade my suspension but I also want the ride to be very smooth. I want to be able to take my mom on a ride and for her to say the ride is way better than her car.

I will maybe take my car to the track once or twice a year w/ somewhat hard driving on the street.

Thank you.
Sorry if I missed a thread answering this.
I'd suggest 450/300 rates. They will ride much better than stock and still work well at the track. No need for super low OEM spring rates.

·
Banned
607 Posts
my xidas (550/350) are stiffer than my stock msm bilsteins, but they're less harsh going over the rough stuff. That's with dampening turned to full soft, turned up even halfway, they're really rough over the crappy roads around me, and noticeably harsher than stock. If ride quality matters, I highly recommend fm frame rail reinforcements, frog arms too. Alot of perceived ride harshness is a result of chassis flex, which will only get worse if you stiffen the suspension.

keep in mind, xidas are really low, even at highest setting, you will have to change driving habits, and take inclines at a high angle, and get used to the occasional scrape (especially in underground parking facilities). If you've got an NB, that's on the heavier side (boosted), you'll need some modifications to get enough height in the rear.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like I'll be doing a bit more research. As much as would like a better ride I would still prefer preformance. My last car had low profile tires and stiff coilovers. The ride wasn't that bad but everyone who got in the car hated it. I bet these would be way nicer on the road.

·
Banned
607 Posts
Don't get low profile tires if you like performance. I'm dealing with low-pro now since I have em, and don't want to just throw them away. hating it...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts