ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
3,542 Posts
Needs a lot of lovin! But it's a great project car, keep us updated! ;)

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Which motor are you gonna swap in there? :-k Looks like it'll be fun :mrgreen:

·
Registered
203 Posts
Wow that's gorgeous! I've been staring down an Opel GT myself...

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Nice pick up! I have a buddy that has two in his garage as a project car. Are there sites out there that sells parts for these cars? He's having trouble finding some.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
omghi2u!

those are some ridiculously wiiiiiiide tires! damn!

unfortunately, no motor swap, as i'm probably just going to sell this once it's done. although, we were having some trouble with bolts and things of that nature last night.. and we started saying that we should just quit bothering and go get a sr20. :)

so i'm mostly going oem on everything. going to rebuild the motor (which was rebuilt only 15k miles ago, but 20 years ago). and there's only 50k miles on the ticker. so i'm guessing the motor was rebuilt due to age and not mileage.

as for Z parts, i honestly haven't really started looking yet (except at Kragen, but not for the rare Z-specific parts), but I found the following shop - and ordered their catalog. it'll probably be march/april before i start requiring stuff i can't find at kragen.

http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5730 <-- another thread I made pre-240z, and there's two links in there that are helpful as well. they're Z forums, but check out their sponsors. (can i say that here?)

slutz.. if my z looked like that, i'd sell the miata :oops: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Here was mine, sold it for the Miata:

I loved that car, just not a daily driver friendly as the Miata is.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
117 Posts
You'll find when you start looking through some of these Z forums, that all the 1st gen Zcars (240, 260, and 280Z's) had a problem with exhaust fumes. The problem was due to the cars aerodynamics, essentially the inside of car ended up creating a vacuum, and unless the car was perfectly sealed (no 30ish year old car is) the fumes would be pulled from under the car into the cockpit. The cars had this problem to differing degrees, but there's no question that when you get out of a Z car, you're gonna smell like exhaust.
My car was exceptionally bad for this, and to top that off I live in the south where it gets really hot. My car had no AC, and rolling down the windows would compound the fume issues 100-fold. So I drove around in the summers (90+ degrees) with the windows up, no AC, and a black vinyl interior... talk about fun. However at night, or in the late fall/early spring this car was a blast to drive. I do fully intend to have another one someday when I don't need to use it a a DD.

Mechanically, the car was top notch, had only 112k on the clock, and was all original. Some regular maintenance for it and it still managed to put down 124whp/131ft/lbs of torque after nearly 30 years. Which wasn't far of from what this thing put down off the showroom floor in 1977.

End long post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts