ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my favorite dispensary was 'raided' by big men in trucks with flack jackets and 9mm's and AR-15's and riot gear...

RIOT GEAR!

I say 'raided' because when the really cool security guard saw what was about to go down he quickly......

Opened the door and let the officers in as he was instructed to do by the owner of the dispensary. That way the loss to his store would be minimal, no broken show cases, no destroyed windows and locks and doors. He figured the next tenant and the owner of the building shouldn't have to pay for what it was he was doing there. I understand it was a quiet little deal, I mean why wouldn't it be, the staff consists of three security guards (licensed by the state by the way) and about 10-12 'budtenders' who range in age from 18 to about 27, most female and assuredly non-violent but the ones at work were rounded up and carted away along with inventory that was purchased for resale legally, security equipment (cameras, recorders, computers) and seized it as 'evidence' and now the owner of the building may be threatened with seizure of the rental units (20 in total but the dispensary only occupies two) and forfeiture of all rents associated with those two units retroactive to the day the store opened.

Now here is what is going to burn your hides as well as mine...

In this same complex is a guy my wife used to work for, as a matter of fact he is four doors away. Before the dispensary opened it's doors this guy was barely making ends meet, to the point where he was ready to throw it in on the business he successfully ran for over twenty years. Not because he didn't have the clients but because his operating costs, already cut to the bone, were too much. Insurance was high because the complex was subject to vandalism and theft, nicer places are safer but they cost more, much more. Time lost to those crimes is also a factor not to mention the trust of the guys clients. Would you trust your **** to someone who can't take care of it?

Enter the dispensary...

The dispensary hired security to keep an eye on the whole complex, not just the two units they were in, you know why? Because it was a good investment in neighbors. They installed cameras to watch the backs of all the units and made sure their staff looked after everybody and then they told the owner who told his insurance company that there was more security so his insurance went down. A plus!

Now my friend, he is still struggling and has decided that it's time to fold the business because he can't afford the rent. The owner said to him 'If I knock a couple hundred off the rent, will it help?' My friend says hell yes! Him and the owner come to a new agreement. He asks the question "Why?" The owner says with the dispensary there, the word is the place is safe so I'm full up, no rentals available. He could have let my friend go ahead and fold and move and get top dollar for the place but my friend had been there for years. My friend gets in touch with his insurance and lo and behold, more security? On site? 24 hours? Well that calls for a reduction in premiums. More money to invest in his business...

Up until yesterday at 3:00 pm it was a very beneficial relationship between all the tenants of the property.

I spoke with my friend today and he is worried that all those gains will be lost and he'll be right back to contemplating closing the doors again as surely the premiums will rise, the tenants that were in a safe building will now go and the rent will rise.

100% true story bro.

**** the man.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow. It sounds like nothing but bad things are coming from the dispensaries being closed down. Best of luck to those who were affected.

·
Registered
45 Posts
wow that really sucks to hear but at least it was handled in an orderly and calm matter. i can think of one or 2 thing that could of totally sent that raid down a bad path.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow that really sucks to hear but at least it was handled in an orderly and calm matter. i can think of one or 2 thing that could of totally sent that raid down a bad path.

I can think of something that would have made it a complete non-issue.

No raid.

The city cops don't care, according to the local LEO the dispensaries do not operate afoul of local law so they have no beef as long as there are no associated criminal activities they do have laws against. The local LEO was not involved, I imagine because there was no federal cash to be gained and anything that came of the raid would go to someone else so why bother (interesting concept eh? ) if it isn't benefiting them which on the other side the dispensary through property and sales taxes was indeed benefiting the city so I can see why they would want to stay, as is best in their case, neutral about it.

In a cost/benefit analysis, they did exactly the right thing...

So yeah, at least 15 jobs known lost for sure not to mention what is going to happen in the next few months. Ultimately the only ones who benefit from this are those who hold the rifles and they are paid by pointing them at you if need be.

:fp:

Laissez faire, comrades.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i agree with you 100% i don't know why the federal gov. feels the need to come and do these types of things. When obviously there was nothing bad coming from this.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Suck man.

It really sucks how closer to election time we get our administration flip flops on a lot of issues they once held a firm stance on. What happened to Obama's stance that pursuing these dispensaries was a waste of federal time and money? I guess when those with check books talk, things happen. I would not be surprised at all if this had something to do with his recent campaigning in CA.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Suck man.

It really sucks how closer to election time we get our administration flip flops on a lot of issues they once held a firm stance on. What happened to Obama's stance that pursuing these dispensaries was a waste of federal time and money? I guess when those with check books talk, things happen. I would not be surprised at all if this had something to do with his recent campaigning in CA.

I see these raids as more of a way for the agencies involved to keep themselves relevant. No matter what Obama says about raiding clinics, it is still against the law so LEO must actively pursue the law breakers in order to keep projected budget allotments up so they can buy new toys and oppress folks.

Until the feds say that pot is legal, these things will continue.

And so will things like this.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Federal law > state law. CA pot laws are unconstitutional. The feds have every right to raid.

Not that I agree with it. MJ's cool wit me.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How many states have to legalize or decriminalize it before the feds stop wasting our money doing this?

All of them, and then they will all have to fight the federal government to prove that the people have decided what it is they want.

Too bad the American voter doesn't have a lobby because all they would have to do is convince one representative through favors and compensation that it would be in the interest of his constituency to do whatever the lobby is asking.

Go U.S.A.

·
Premium Member
9,430 Posts
All of them, and then they will all have to fight the federal government to prove that the people have decided what it is they want.

Too bad the American voter doesn't have a lobby because all they would have to do is convince one representative through favors and compensation that it would be in the interest of his constituency to do whatever the lobby is asking.

Go U.S.A.
Also, King Toabacco has a say in it, too.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh look, this is what happens when state governments think they don't have to answer to the federal government.
Well in that battle I'll have to side with CA over the feds because it was a ballot initiative that got the dispensaries the ability to open in the first place. They asked, it passed. And they have proven to be beneficial to the community at large, I mean at least as much as your local liquor selling establishment.

While I can sympathize with your friend's position as a small business owner, you really have no one to be angry at.

Thanks for that, it'll fill his tummy one night...

But really, no one to be angry at?

How about an oppressive state keeping a businessman from operating a business providing what the majority of the population feels isn't something that should be suppressed while as you say King Tobacco is using the state to it's advantage even in the face of hard, factual and irrefutable evidence of their own products deadliness.

:fp:

I know, I get it, it's cool...

But it's two totally different things.

·
here for farts
680 Posts
crime rates do go up in areas when a dispensary is closed. i have a friend who sells weed to the clinics, people on the streets, and has a delivery service at a bbq a few weeks ago, he said he cannot wait for them to all close because then he will have all his old clients back and be able to make a killing again. he doesnt pay anytaxes for his street sales. i know he deals with lowlifes on the streets but when its to the clinics at least its safe and not black market money.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts