ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Narrowing my choices for next year and I'm seeing very few Miata related hits on google dealing with the Ad08.

In general its a few bucks more than a 205/50 star spec and also regarded as being a bit faster.

Just seeing if anyone on here can make any comments. I may just go the proven route and get Specs again as they worked well for me. They seemed to last forever and just kept sticking.. Re11 is also a contender for my purchase.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
It is a good tire and a good competitor to the star spec, it's good on both wet and dry. It's a quieter tire compared to the star specs as those tend to get very loud after wearing. If you're going for absolute bang for buck my pick would be kumho xs, even with its marginal at best wet performance. If you don't care at all between tire noise I'd stick with the ss for cost purposes. But in my opinion the advans provide a bit crisper turn in and are also very consistent lap after lap. If you don't mind the extra coin I say go for it, it's always good to try many tires, you never know which one will be best for your specific needs and taste.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response. It also might come down to who is having rebates and when. I don't think I can go wrong with either three of those tires but as you say perhaps its good to try different things.

·
Registered
589 Posts
When I bought my tires (RE-11s), it was a toss-up between these and the Yokohama because they were out of the Star Specs. I was actually looking for the Star Specs because of your car Nial! Anyway, found a review in GRM between all of these tires and bit the bullet with the Bridgestones. A little part of me still wishes I went with the Yokohamas... they are all rated pretty closely with one another, but I would definitely try something different this time around, like imnatelol said, you never know how one tire may suit your driving style over another. I guess you could always try and see if you can arrange a test drive with someone already running them.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know I would be perfectly content with any of them. I guess my gut tells me to get the Star Spec again considering how long they lasted me along with already being familiar. To be honest I could squeeze a few more (dry) days out of what I have now which is simply amazing considering how much use they've seen.

·
'Bout dat life
4,106 Posts
I haven't read too many reviews of the AD08, other than what was on tirerack. Honestly, I think that you'd be best saving a few bucks and going with the star specs again.

But as a side note, the Evasive S2000 uses AD08's.... if that really means anything.

·
Supporting Member
272 Posts
Not apples to apples, but I have the Yokos as my summer tire on my Mazdaspeed 3 and I have been very happy. I was surprised that I have gotten good life out of them, ~20k miles of often aggressive street driving. They stick great in the dry and are good in the wet. Don't know how they'd be on a lighter car, but I know that I am planning to buy them again next spring. I don't think you'll be disappointed, but I couldn't say if they are worth more than the star specs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts