ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wiring my car has me thinking about maybe incorporating a remote start / security system into my build. i imagine waiting for oil temps to warm up in a boosted car will suck once i get it running.

The Invisibeam Field Disturbance Sensor viper makes looks pretty awesome and im definitely looking into the 2 way systems. It'd be nice to know if someone was messing with the car.

If you're running a system or know about a system that you've looked into for your miata, share what you know.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Insurance is the best peace of mind, other than that a 138db siren wired under the dash makes for a difficult time in the drivers seat with that thing wailing away even in a soft top.

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Insurance is the best peace of mind, other than that a 138db siren wired under the dash makes for a difficult time in the drivers seat with that thing wailing away even in a soft top.
Ha! Sounds like you have some experience. what type of alarm are you running? prox sensor or something else?

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
there are 2 alarm triggers; it has a shock sensor and the little button switch that is in your door jam that triggers the interior lights to turn on if you know what i mean. the shock sensitivity is a little wheel on the antenna so its convenient. as far as range. it works across any parking lot i go into, thats all i know haha

·
Registered
61 Posts
Alarm 2 way, clutch lock, detachable steering wheel with lock. Do you guys know how much it cost to get an alarm installed (approximately)?

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i found a guy on cragslist who did it for me for 140 with power lock actuators install
that sounds about right. I talked to a guy today about doing mine and he almost refused to do the system without adding power lock actuators to the system.

I always keep my car open and just make sure theres nothing super valuable in the car. i originally bought the car with a cut soft top due to someone breaking in because the doors were locked. they took 30$ worth of cds and ruined the ~500$ top. letting them open the door would allow them to get in but with a 2 way alarm system id automatically know about it and the siren would be screaming in their ear. At least i wouldnt be out the soft top too.. (hardtop = winning)

If someone was worried about them running off with the car when it was remote started and the doors were unlocked im sure i could rig something up to where if the doors were opened, it would automatically shut the car off and sound the alarm.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
A lot of places won't install a remote start feature on a manual and those who do will either charge a bunch of money and probably make you sign a waiver or they'll do it wrong.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Had a very nice python 2-way in my S14 a few years back - worked at circuit city and got a great discount. Two way is really nice because it tells you if your alarm is going off, if someone bumps the car, if the doors are locked, etc. Installed it myself, I would recommend taking it to someone who does a nice job and paying for it - 150 to 200 sounds fair, depending on how much stuff you want with it. I had a prox sensor (could leave the windows down and it would chirp if you stuck a hand in the car, neat but I probably wouldn't buy it if it wasn't super cheap), vibration sensor, and a door switch trigger. I also added an ignition kill relay (highly recommended) for about $8 in parts). You can also get tilt sensors in case they try to throw it on a rollback. Anything you can imagine except force fields can be added given enough money and time.

Two things I will mention - I'm not surprised that most places want to add power lock actuators, but it's not really necessary. You still use the lock/unlock button on the remote to arm/disarm the system, but it won't care if the car is locked, top down, etc.

Also, I would advise against using a remote start on a manual vehicle. Sure lots of people do it and I'll probably catch hell for playing it safe, but I have seen it done on two cars and both resulted in bad situations. The big problem is that if the car is left in gear, the starter has enough torque to move it easily even with the ebrake on. A friend parked his truck, left it in gear, and accidentally hit the start button - the truck's starter dragged it into the side of the building and smashed the front end. Another friend let someone drive her subie, they left it in gear, and when she hit the button it jumped a curb and almost went through the front of a bank. There's a reason good installers won't do this - it's dangerous and full of liability. On top of that, do you want to trust your car won't roll down a hill with just the ebrake holding it back? Ebrakes usually work ok, until someone leans on the car, or bumps it with their car, etc. etc. Just my $0.02, but as someone who has done this A LOT, I think if you care about the car enough to put an alarm on it, you should be smart enough not to put on a remote start.

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
... I have seen it done on two cars and both resulted in bad situations. ...
I don't see why people don't hook into the neutral switch in manuals. That way the car wont start if the car is in gear..

If i hook it up on mine the way ill wire it is that the doors have to be closed, the car has to be in neutral, and the E brake must be on. since i dont have auto door locks and usually leave my car unlocked if the car is remote started and the security system is armed the doors must remain closed until disarmed or the engine will shut off and the alarm will sound. this way if someone tried to jack the unmanned started car the engine will die and i'll know about it.

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
if you have a habit if putting your car into gear, then id advise not getting remote start. its something i dont worry about because i always leave my car in neutral when i park, no matter what. but yes, i have heard a few stories about remote start. i doubt our miatas have much power to move from the ebrakes anyway :p

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Remote starting is for Chevy pick ups in Canada when it's -2 outside, places where you need to warm up the interior some before going off to work.

Remote start on any car in SoCal is just douchebaggery (sorry, but it just is) and you're just showing off.

Turn the fuckin' key you lazy, pretentious assholes.

:p

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
...Turn the fuckin' key you lazy, pretentious assholes.

:p
Dude. I'm busy. Id rather not sit in my car and wait for it to warm up the oil before i tear down the street to work every morning. I know i can set coolant based rev limits with the MS3x so my oil pressure doesn't get too high but still. Id rather just jump in and go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
The viper alarm with the infared bubble is great I lock my woth top down all the time. If you reaxh onside my vic then the alarm starts blaring!!! Best xmas preesent ever.

·
Great scott!
293 Posts
Or you could just do what every other person does and just take it easy for the first few miles. Letting the car sit for 15-20 minutes and warm up isn't the proper thing to do either. Most manuals will say that its better for the car to get in and drive easily than let it idle and warm up.

Ive never used an alarm system/remote start that was worth a damn.

I don't see why people don't hook into the neutral switch in manuals. That way the car wont start if the car is in gear..
I've yet to see a manual transmission with a neutral safety switch.

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 23 Posts