ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Im new and ive been lurking for a while but here is my first miata. I reciently picked up a free 1993 white Mazda Miata for a summer track/lapping budget build. Here is the background to the car…

My daily driver at the time:

2001 Lazer Blue Mazda Protégé MP3
317342_10150371903071335_622041334_10275760_1188151273_n1 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
Daily driver and only car until I picked up the miata. Had some things done to it. Header, full exhaust, rebuilt motor with cams, pulleys and adjustable gears, struts/springs/swaybars and adjustable pillowball rear suspension, 17x8 STI BBS' etc. Was about to install a modified Mazdaspeed turbo kit at the time

Earlier this summer my dad was looking for a convertible rwd car as a cruiser and fun toy. Ideas were a e36 318 vert or a z3 or something alike. My friend has a miata at the time and that’s how that became an option and how he ended up with this a month or 2 later…

1990 Mariner Blue Mazda Miata

DSC01240 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

1 owner, 163k, manual, hardtop and we got it for damn good deal

so far: black 15x7+25 Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 w/ 205/50Yokohama Advan AD08, ACT HD stage 1 clutch, Jackson Racing header, Magnaflow Cat, Tokico Blues/Tokico springs, Energy Suspension Poly bushing kit, K&N drop in filter, 1.8 injectors, 949 racing extended braided clutch line, 5x racing metal shifter bushing, Hawk HPS pads, Nardi Classic 350mm etc

That’s when I decided I needed to find a cheep rwd car to screw around in, and build to head out on the track as well as drive it there and home.

lurked kijiji a bunch and few weeks later I found this…

1993 white miata

I cant find pictures of when i first got it but here it is after I brought it home and 10 washes later.

DSC01214 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

265k, rocker rot on 1 side, 5 spd, wet leaves piled everywhere in the car and the bay, destroyed interior and missing things everywhere. but the rest of the car was pretty solid. front end has fresh paint as well.

The owner had a few performance parts on the car and sold those off( JR M45 SC, JR header, Supra 305cc, Greddy emanage Blue, Rota wheels, Koni/FM suspension, Sparco seats, HD Deuce roll bar and a bunch of other parts.) assuming he got all the money from those parts he wanted the shell and the rest of the parts (including a full running motor, tranny and few misc. parts) he decided to put it up for FREE!

A week later with a friends truck and rented dolly I towed the car home.

Car also came with a few upgraded parts left for me to start my build with(the good) :

Eurodrive Kevlar clutch
Shaved/Lightened 1.6 flywheel
Walbro 255lph HP fuel pump
Greddy SP 2.25" axleback exhaust w/ test pipe

Power wise the goal is 250 at the wheels but I am more concerned with spool and reliability. Since I love my suspension stuff im going to be starting out with changing everything there as well with bracing up the chassis everywhere. Less weight and clean/neater parts will be the aim for to make more space and easier to work/spot problems. Car really needs a good cleaning and TLC and to be put back together.

Plans/future parts:

Replace the leaking gas tank, get the rust patched, cert/e-test and finally drive the car!

·
Miata's Can't Drift Silly
1,568 Posts
Re: 93 Miata budget track build

IMO I'd get it running good and drive it around BEFORE you turbo it so you can get a feel for RWD and a Miata. Then once you've gotten used to all of this, slowly start to upgrade her. Lil by lil...day by day. That's what a lot on here do and that's what worked for me. Just my .02

·
Registered
116 Posts

It might have been free, but what you have planned is not. The rust on that car might be more then what you think. I would really check the rust out on the car before you spend to much into it. I have a 90 and the rust on it after I sandblasted it turned out to be a lot. Take the good parts off and find a good rust free miata from the south... aka. USA. and go from there. Rust is not the easiest thing to get rid of on a miata. IT COST BIG $$$$$. Good luck with the miata.....

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

well i have been driving my dads miata all summer. honistly it feels pretty familiar driving it. but that is at 90whp.

also the rust really isnt as bad as it looks. because sitting outside and wet leaves the rocker is rusted through and the floor has a small soft patch because of a wet carpet. most of it is just surface and scrapes off with my fingernail to bare metal

other than that its a few surface bubbles. the car has been oiled so the rest is pretty damn clean. i have a guy that can reweld it. He did 2 small spots on my dads rockers as well.

DSC01243 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
DSC01244 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

polished and waxed the car. suprizingly the painted turned out pretty decient.

DSC01788 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

engine that works. still a dirty engine bay but alot cleaner than what is was.

DSC01787 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

stripped interior. needs a bit of working on.

cars in the garage for the winter collecting dust. collecting money and parts to install in the next few months.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

so 10 months after having the car finally an update. ive been focusing on 1 car at the time. so just about to turbo my Protege then i should be mostly done with the car and can start with the miata. here is some pics from yesterday from a fathers day track day where me adn my dad took the Protege and his Miata(recient additions are Team dynamics pro race 1.2 15x7 +25 with Advan AD06 205/50's and a R front lip)
HaldimandCounty-20110619-00025 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
IMG-20110619-00023 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
i also found some great deals and picked up a few parts for my Miata.

smoked crystal indicators, cleaned the whole interior,rewelded the muffer and rolled the rear fenders.
no pics unfortunately

Nardi Classic 350mm steering wheel
DSC01427 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

AEM 90-95 standalone ecu
DSC01428 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

AEM 3.5 bar MAP sensor, AEM UGEO wideband sensor w/gauge and ddm works 3 gauge din slot
DSC01429 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

car needs the gas tank replaced so while im doing that the rear subframe is going to be braced and welded(any ideas), stripped and repainted with all the control arms, Prothane Poly bushings for all the control arms and the interior of the car is going to get all stitch and seam welded before it gets a repaint inside.

alot of work cut out for me later on

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

are those sti 17" wheels on the protoge? that looks amazing. i want to see where you take this car too

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

yep STI BBS 17x8s. those were just blackberry pics. i can post some good ones later on.

but yea i do to being a college student with 2 cars and a tight budget. its going to be tight.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

Its been a while since ive updated this but ive still been on the forums. The car has has a bunch of work done even with busy school, work and work on the protégé as well.

DSC01633 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

The car was stripped down to the shell underneath(minus pulling motor/tranny and front subframe)
The whole underneath from the tranny tunnel black was wirebrushed bare, primed, painted black and undercoated.

DSC01607 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

Got an NB rear subframe and with my control arms, they were wirebrushed bare, painted with rust converting primer, painted roll bar black and a sparkle clear coat. They look amazing. I also have Red Prothane polyurethane bushing kit to install with an oem Mazda upper ball joint boots and red molybdenum synthetic grease.

DSC01637 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

The rear 1.6 diff, PPF and Driveshaft were all cleaned up and wirebrushed.DSC01635 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

Every single Nut and bolt has beeen wirebrushed bare or has been replaced, anti-seise on the threads and torqued per spec.

Also the whole point of this was to change the leaky gas tank. I swapped in a 1.8 tank from a 97 and put in a normal 1.8 fuel pump to replace the Walbro 255hp and adj. fuel pressure regulator to run and idle better for pre-boost

Replaced the steering wheel with a non-airbag 90 Miata 3 spoke and did a full air-bag delete through the car.

Suspension will be some BARELY used BC coilovers with the 10/8 spring package(looking into 10/7 or 10/6 after I get experience on them) will anti-seize the threads and throw them on. Probably looking at a 11.5/11.75 ride height.

IMG-20120111-00101 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

What just arrived in packages for me are some 949 racing brake lines, 949 racing Extended race clutch line, Illest and Mazdaspeed T-shirts and some 5xRacing Metal shifter bushings.(no pic yet)

New rear bumper support and mounts/bolts as I got tired of all the rusty stuff and mangled the stock one getting it off.

Picked up decient condition Mitsubishi 14b turbo. With a decient turbo build on 14-16 psi hopefully I will be able to make my goal of 250whp and decient spool up

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts

Picked up decient condition Mitsubishi 14b turbo. With a decient turbo built on 14-16 psi hopefully I will be able to make my goal of 250whp and decient spool up?
On the 1.6 diff? Be careful. :D I like the chameleon paint btw!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

I have the 1.6 diff now. im planning a 4.1 or 3.9 1.8 torsen eventually. its just all $$.

For now the AEM ecu has been tuned from 88wheel to 102whp so thats what ill be running for now with just suspension mods and wheels. boost is later on.

The paint is just spraypaint and everything underneigh has it. its just all prepwork. duplicolor rollbar gloss black and sparkle effect clear. its really cool and durable too.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

updated Part list:

Stripped interior minus dash
Greddy SP axleback exhaust with 2.25" midpipe and testpipe
Walbro 255HP fuel pump/stock 1.8 fuel pump currently
Kevlar clutch with shaved 1.6 flywheel
Underbody has been wirebrushed bare, primed, painted black and undercoated
Mazdaspeed miata rear subframe(stripped, painted gloss rollbar black and sparkle clear)w/ MSM ladder brace
Oem control arms (stripped, painted gloss rollbar black and sparkle clear)
Red Prothane Polyurethane Control Arm and differential bushings
new oem ball joints, upper ball joint boots and 93LE edition Tie rod ends
1990 Miata non airbag steering wheel with airbag system delete
949 Racing extended race braided clutch line
949 Racing Braided brake lines
BC racing BR Coilovers with special Get low(10/8 spring rate) package
New rear bumper support
Smoked front turn signals
97 miata (larger capacity) gas tank and hoses
New rear hard brake lines
NB Miata updated style camber bolts
ALL nuts and bolts have been replaced or wirebrushed to bare metal, anti-seised and retorqued
5xRacing metal shifter bushing
AEM Miata Standalone ECU with custom base tune(88whp to 102whp)
AEM UGEO wideband o2 sensor with gauge
AEM 3 bar MAP sensor
DDMtuning double din 3 gauge slot
Megan racing 16g Turbo Manifold and Downpipe
Mitsubishi 14b Turbocharger with wastegate
OMP non-adjustable drivers seat rail

Team Dynamics Pro1.2 15x7 +25 wheels in black with Yokohama Advan Neova 205/50/15 track tires (dads wheels but using for the track until i can pick up my own)

·
Registered
151 Posts

when I saw the pic of your Protege I thought I was looking at a subie :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)

paint is vht roll bar gloss black and the clear coat is duplicolour glitter effects

pressed the bushings the control arms (more of a slight push actually). minus the half of 1 of the right rear upper. they sent me the wrong one so im waiting on that to install the upper.

DSC01641 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

also tried putting the rear sway bar one but aparently somewhere along the line a 1.8(11mm) rsb was swapped in so im waiting on some 7/16" red prothane bushings to install.

my coilovers only came with the larger spanner wrench so i ordered a new set from BC and when that comes in, ill pull the coilovers apart, clean and antiseise the threads and install with new bolts and nuts.

Also noticed 1 of my rear uprights is bent due to pushing out the driveshaft with a 20 ton press. So i ordered another 90 rear hub. going to install new bearings in the rear and cut all sheilds for a future planned sport brakes

went to go put the wiring harness on all the connections on the transmission and they all were so corroded and pulled off while a wire snapped on the reverse sensor. so new bullet connectors installed for the harness and need to get the reverse sensor so i can put in my Ford motorcraft 75w-90 transmission fluid.

I didnt like how the front of the car was still dirty and nasty compared to the nicely painted and undercoated rear. so i kinda started on it

DSC01674 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

DSC01726 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

Also thinking of a minor wire tuck or well delete. i hate the black looms so ill hide them as much as i can and delete as much of the stuff as i can before the safety. and then get rid of everything i absolutely dont need after. less **** to worry about/go wrong on the track and more room in the bay

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

School has taken up a lot of time so the car is still being worked on but here is whats happened lately

In the mean time i have sold the protégé MP3 and picked up a new daily driver. A 2000 Saab 9-3 Viggen coupe in silver. A few mods so far: new Sachs Viggen clutch/PP, GS braided clutch line, Koni Sport springs, GS shorty antenna, BBS RK1 17x8 +35 on 225/45/17 Continential tires, BBS 10.9 lug bolts, Hawk HPS brake pads/drilled slotted rotors and regular refreshing so far

My dads Miata is in for some fresh Mariner blue paint and has had some mods lately as well: Flyin Miata silicone 1-piece lower rad hose, Mazda Competition motor mounts, Hawk HPS brake pads

On mine I have removed the front subframe and steering rack. Wirebrushed and undercoated/black paint under the fenders and bottom of the frame rails as well as white paint on the door jams on the drivers side. Still have to get to the front and passenger side.

Brake callipers have been painted black instead of rust coloured until I can get sport brakes. The drive shafts have also just been painted black. Spare hub arrived. just needs new bearings/cutting/paint then i can finish the rear of the car.. I also sold the turbo manifold/downpipe for the car for extra cash on the daily driver. I still do have the 14b and the standalone for the turbo stuff.

DSC01674 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

Parts for my Miata include: Flyin Miata 1-piece silicone lower rad hose, AWR 70Duro Polyurethane motor mounts for 1.6, Superpro Power Poly steering rack bushings, Magnaflow 1.8 Hi-flow cat.

DSC01652 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
DSC01673 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
DSC01671 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

I also picked this up for free from a local Miata tuner…2001 BP short block. Cracked piston from det. and the rest are pitted. But its 500km from the last rebuild with ARP head studs and apparently forged pistons and rods. Maybe I will be going 1.8 after all…

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)

soo the MAF on my Saab went bad and under full boost i lost cylinder #4. 35psi compression so likely cracked a piston. so thats taking a side and the push to get the miata done has started(it will take less time and $$ to finish).

the whole underneith of the bay was painted black as well as the tunnel was fully undercoated, wheelwells totally undercoated and the bottom half of the rad support.

subframe was complretely cleaned up stripped and then painted the same rollbar black/sparkle clear as the rest of the suspension components. cleaned up the dirty as motor a little bit then installed on AWR 70 duro poly mounts.

DSC01731 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr
DSC01694 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

cleaned up the steering rack and painted part of it (same black/sparkle) and installed on the rack with the super pro poly rack bushings

DSC01694 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

949 extended clutch line was also installed and clutch slave was cleaned and painted (no pic)

anddddd more parts to get the car done. a pair or Bride Vios 3 seats with side mounts and a slider for the passenger.

DSC01730 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

R-package tie rod ends, ball joints and nuts, bolts and washers to finish up the suspension

DSC01733 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

as well as smoked indicators and bumper lights plus H4 conversion headlights

DSC01732 by Neil Vanderlaan, on Flickr

and right now im cleaning up the bay. going to do a half tuck with the wires. have them on the outside under the fenders and around the headlights. looks cleaner but still access to the wires if i need to. a little dremeling and some paint and that will be done.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts