ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 2704 Posts

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
The track day was great!

Camping at the track, budget style:

This being my first official track day (I don't count Miatas @ MRLS), the first 3 sessions were really just getting the feel of things, learning the track, getting comfortable etc. Lap times dropped from 2 : 35 for the first session to 2:17 by the end of the 3rd.
The 4th session is when I started feeling like I was connecting corners together and carrying enough speed all the way through to use the whole track on exit, etc. But then an intercooler hose blew off on the first lap that felt fast, so I pitted and fixed it and got back out on track in time for just one out lap plus a flying lap. I did the flying lap at 3/4 throttle to just get a good lap in without the hose coming off again and did a 2:13.

Back when I upgraded to beefy hose clamps, I left one old clamp on because it was a biatch to get to, and naturally that's the one that failed me at the track. That will teach me. :)

All in all though, I had an amazing time, and the car felt great. All of the big dogs who usually run in Unlimited had their Mod class cars there and were running in my class. Andrew Savington did a 2:09.5 in the same session in a fully stripped and caged miata on 225/45 NT-01's, and his dad in the same car was doing 2:12's, so I am pretty happy - there lots more left in the car, but with my beginner-ness and not getting more than one lap in once I was comfortable with the track, I couldn't have asked for more!

Some highlights:

-Getting a point-by by a yellow S2000 coming out of the last corner onto the front straight. He moves off the line and points me by but doesn't lift and we end up drag racing side by side down the front straight. At my low-boost 185 whp, I still pulled a car length on him by the braking zone for the first corner :)

-In the 3rd session spending a good 3 laps just matching speed with a white turbo miata and flying around the track. We ended up finding out in the 4th session once I got some confidence that my car was a lot quicker than his, but just cruising around at a 2:17 pace with him was really fun.

As an update, I added a fire extinguisher to qualify for the -0.5 points in MC:

And I removed the rear diffuser so that I didn't take the +1 point in MC for rear aero. This and the fire extinguisher bring me down to 15 points so that I am in Mod class. I also added the rear tow hook, which I need to fab a little hook for so it doesn't hang down:

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
From what I remember, the HT doesn't add any points. Why wouldn't you add it?

Anyways, great looking car!
For some reason I thought it added a point for the aero, but I was mistaken. Still, my outright goal here is not to be the fastest, it's to have fun. Running top-down is really really fun. I'm on a budget, so if a hardtop falls in my lap for an unbeatable deal, I'll go for it, but I'm not in a hurry.
-Ryan

·
Registered
619 Posts
Wow. I want your rear Diffuser.. Bad!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Got any videos to share with us?
With all the craziness of being at my first track event, I didn't even think to use the GoPro until the final session, and I had had the intercooler pipe blow off in the previous two sessions, so I was taking it easy and just seeing if it would hold.

Video is of one warm up lap at maybe 3/4 throttle and passing a single lonely S2000, and then on the following lap I start to push a little and it blows off again and I throw my hands in the air.

The camera location is crap. My rollbar mount is faulty so this was my only option.

http://youtu.be/icYcNvU3zyM

·
Supporting Member
352 Posts
Nice build. Im digging the diffuser too!

Quick question, Im kinda liking that dash guage pod, which one is it, or were did you get it from?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Nice build. Im digging the diffuser too!

Quick question, Im kinda liking that dash guage pod, which one is it, or were did you get it from?
Thanks!

It's just the regular black gauge pod by autometer: http://www.autometer.com/cat_mounts.aspx?sid=49
I think I ordered mine from Summit Racing.

edit: I might have misunderstood which gauge pod you meant. If you mean the dual pod in the center of the dash, it's a dual pod for a mustang: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-10001/
-Ryan

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Glad to see this car is making it to the track. Once you get comfortable with its manners will you add the diffuser to see how much benefit there is to having it? Also has this thing been corner weighted?
As long as I want to stay in Mod class for Miata Challenge (which I do), I can't take any points for rear aero.
Mod is a really interesting class - the current fast cars in it are basically a spec miata on much nicer suspension and tons of grip - 15x9's and NT-01's. However, my car fits in the same class and has significantly more power, same wheels, but less grip (RS-3). Theoretically, these two very different setups might be fairly equal overall.
I'm going to focus on reducing drag with some work on the front for now.
Haven't gotten around to weighing the car..

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Always wanted to see your car since you live in san diego! car is looking good.

and i like that sticker " Save weight. Drive naked"!

·
Registered
740 Posts
i am curious about your exhaust reminds me so much of a tvr.

·
Registered
845 Posts
As long as I want to stay in Mod class for Miata Challenge (which I do), I can't take any points for rear aero.
Mod is a really interesting class - the current fast cars in it are basically a spec miata on much nicer suspension and tons of grip - 15x9's and NT-01's. However, my car fits in the same class and has significantly more power, same wheels, but less grip (RS-3). Theoretically, these two very different setups might be fairly equal overall.
I'm going to focus on reducing drag with some work on the front for now.
Haven't gotten around to weighing the car..
Interesting, you should look into getting it cornerweighted to make the most of your setup imo. Nevertheless it is good to see your car competes well against the others.

21 - 40 of 2704 Posts