Four supports/struts along the rear edge. I cut three brackets for the struts to mount to to out of aluminum angle stock, bolted those to the diffuser, then built the struts from threaded rod, nuts and washers, and aluminum tube. The struts extend through holes in the floor of the trunk. This way, the height of the rear edge of the diffuser is adjustable - just move the nuts on the threaded rod.
At the centerline, I riveted a U-shaped aluminum stock across the diffuser to give it rigidity. This extends past the sides of the diffuser a few inches, and mounts to a stock tab on the rear of the wheel well where the wheel well meets the rear bumper skin.
At the front edge, I riveted an aluminum angle stock width-wise across the diffuser, again for rigidity, and cut/bent two brackets which come off that angle stock and mount to the two lower sway bar bracket bolts.
All together, super light, very very rigid, and doesn't mount to the bumper skin at all. (which is not so secure).
I did sawzall off all of the frame that extends down for the stock tow hooks to mount to. You can see that in the picture on page 1 with the diffuser removed.
Yes, those are my headlights. PIAA-P3000's. The original headlight area is gutted - the headlights covers are just held there with aluminum brackets. Saves ~10lbs per side (factoring in the weight of the new lights), and my intercooler piping takes up that space now. Light output is plenty to get me around town. Comparable to stock low beams.
Fixed the alternator bracket that sheared a bolt at Buttonwillow.
Painted the hood red because I was tired of the white. I used basic spray paint so it turned out pretty meh but at least it's red for now. Also painted the A-pillar black. Pics of that later.
Following pics are all crappy cell phone snaps...
Put a tow strap on the rear and used a $2 Home
Depot bathroom robe hook for a hook for it so it doesn't dangle:
Still need to get TOW stickers to point out the hook.
Made a barrier out of sheet metal for the driver's footwell so that if the fire extinguisher mount fails it can't roll forward under my feet:
Although right now I'm just running at Miata Challenge events with Speed Ventures, if in the future I attend a cheap track day that doesn't offer transponders/timing, I wanted to have a way to log unofficial times:
So yesterday I raced at the BMWCCA autocross at Qualcomm stadium, and it was a great success for me!
First, the West Qualcomm lot is HUGE. Easily quadruple the size of most autocross areas. Second, the BMW guys like their big cars and big horsepower, so the course mixes traditional SCCA-like elements like slaloms and tight chicago boxes with big track-like sections like high-speed 3rd gear decreasing radius sweepers. Guys were hitting 80 mph around a turn! In short, not the normal miata-biased environment most autox's are
I'm usually in the top 10% at these events on my take-off goodyear slicks on 13" wheels, but with the turbo that setup actually shortens my gearing too much.
So, I gave my new track wheel/tire combo a shot - the 225 RS-3's and 9" 6UL's.
Won X-class (non-bmws) against a seriously fast STI and a very quick S2000 among about 15 others.
Set TTOD!!! This is a first for me in the last 5 years or so I've been autocrossing. I never expected it to be at a horsepower-dominant BMW event either. There are a lot of very serious drivers with lots of M3's on hoosiers, fully prepped Mini Cooper S's, a stripped and caged M3 with a LS1 in it, etc.
I figured I'd start a thread of my own to catalog my plans for my 2002 Laser Blue, otherwise known as The Tick:
I just paid him off at the beginning of the month and am thinking of mods that I'd like to do to "finish" him off. Of course, I can't just go mod crazy. My philosophy is to make...
Well this is my first real build and im doing it with a car I have wanted for a long long time.. .to give a little background I have a 91 red Miata with 87000 miles on it. . no rust got it for a great deal and I see this car becoming something truly amazing one day. .so lets get into it.
Decided to finally start a modification thread on here. I don't post this stuff many places but since I am now here quite a bit I figured why not share?
I came about my gearhead status a little later than some do. Not quite sure what caused it. I did help my dad work on cars when I was...
I did this to my last NA:
Not gonna do that again.
So I bought another one:
Meet Riley the 97' NA. 77,264 on the ODO when I bought it. 100% bone stock, right down to the factory soft top. AC/PC, power windows, power mirrors and a torsen. AC still works surprisingly. Not a spot of rust...
I figured it was time to move my projects from my own personal Facebook page to the pages of Club Roadster for everyone to enjoy along with allowing me to archive it in a better fashion than just some personal Facebook posts.
To give some background context, I put out some feelers to some good...